From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
The big issue is hardware change, I recently took a hardware based cluster
and restored it in a virtual space. It worked flawlessly. I can't
guarantee it will work, but I'm guessing it will.

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"IT Junkie" <riyaadmoos(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 9, 3:28 pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs(a)nopspam_msn.com>
wrote:
> Reading through the thread I notice you are looking to go virtual. How
> about bringing up a virtual member server and doing a system state restore
> to the virtual guest. I have done this on occasions in the past, I just
> haven't done on a DC. There are issues with running virtual dc's, but in
> this case if you can get this box up in the virtual world you could then
> bring up a second physical dc to get the info back.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794
>
> --
> Paul Bergson
> MVP - Directory Services
> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
>
> http://www.pbbergs.com
>
> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "IT Junkie" <riyaadm...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I suffered a failure of the only DC in my domain and was forced to
> > rebulid the server.I've managed to restore from system state backup.
> > On reboot, I've experienced a few different errors, depending on the
> > method of restore.
>
> > The first error was a 0x0000007b stop error which i eliminated by re-
> > installing the scsi drivers throught windows setup and repair.
>
> > The second is a 0xc0000227 stop error after the previous error is
> > fixed. I am unable to log into DSRM after this as the stop error
> > recurs. Is there any way I can recover from this?
>
> > Thirdly, a 0xc00002e1 error saying the SAM couldn't initialize.
>
> > What is the surest way of a complete successful restore? My current
> > hardware config consists of a Dell poweredge 6450 & an external
> > Powervault 220s SAN.
>
> > All drives have been configured as before the failure.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge, system state restores are
fickle and the new server needs to be as closely matched to the old
server as possible. There is some leeway in terms of differing
hardware, but I gone down all those avenues.