From: VanguardLH on
geoff wrote:

> I just noticed this, but the AMD Phenom II 965 BE is missing the certificate
> of authenticity. What I got looks like the following pictures:
>
> http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2085493#post30044748
>
> . . . the cpu in the pictures is different but the outside of the box has
> the green sticker, as in pics 1 & 2, and the manual has no 'Certificate of
> Authenticity', pic #5 is how the manual looks.
>
> I always copy the model number from the top of the CPU and check it on AMD's
> website. Also, cpu-z says it is the model I ordered. There wouldn't be
> much point in faking it but I wonder if the CPU ended up in the reject pile
> but some Chinese manager said to box it anyway (cost cutting)?

Newegg has been the victim in the past of sources providing something
different than what they told Newegg. Newegg just passes on what the
vendor gave them. You though Newegg was going to destroy the original
packaging to visually inspect every part they sell?

The story that I recall was Newegg selling a CPU that was actually a
plastic demo of a CPU. Newegg dropped that vendor immediately for lying
to them - but they had to find out first so they would know that they
needed to take any action. Did you contact Newegg to tell them that a
*retail* version of the CPU was missing the cert?

One of the links you gave in a later post (.../HowToDetermine...)
mentions how you can report non-authentic AMD products to AMD. You
might want to follow that path if you really feel you got some
non-authentic product. You should probably wait until you get a reply
from Newegg regarding this questionable item.