From: Kirk Haines on
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, <dan(a)telent.net> wrote:
> Kirk Haines <wyhaines(a)gmail.com

> Forgive my ignorance, but why would one want to use this instead of
> 1.8.7?  Is 1.8.7 closer to the bleeding edge than I believed it was, or
> is the 1.8.6 line maintained purely for existing applications that
> really really don't need *any* API changes?
>
> I'm sure there's a perfectly sensible reason for apparently having three
> MRI versions (1,8.6, 1.8.7, 1.9.x) on the go at once, but I don't know
> what that reason is or where the boundaries are.

Dan, Wayne basically covered it. It's support. Where one has an
option, one should at _least_ be using Ruby 1.8.7, and should probably
be evaluating 1.9.1 as well as other implementations such a Rubinius
or JRuby. But a lot of people are still on 1.8.6, maybe because they
are comfortable with it. Maybe because that's what their app uses and
changing it isn't as easy for them as just swapping, or maybe for
other reasons.

So, for the foreseeable future I'll continue backporting important
changes and bug fixes into 1.8.6, probably at a more aggressive pace
than in prior months, until I run out of issues to fix.

Kirk Haines