From: Spiro Trikaliotis on
[Cross-post, follow-up set to c.e.c.]

VICE 2.1 has been released.

VICE is the Versatile Commodore Emulator, it emulates the Commodore C64,
C128, VIC20, PET, PLUS4 and the CBM-II, as well as the C64 DTV, and it
runs on Win32, Unix, DOS, RiscOS, OS/2, BeOS, QNX, SkyOS, AmigaOS and
GP2X systems.

VICE is *free* software released under the GNU General Public License,
and as such it comes with full source code.

Most important changes since the last version include:

* Changes in VICE 2.1
======================

** General
----------

- The VICEplus project has been joined with VICE. Thus, x64dtv is now
part of VICE.

- We can be contacted via IRC: #vice-dev on freenode

- Added a more accurate ReSID engine using floating point math (ReSID-FP).

- Added support for the USB HardSID.

- PAL emulation has been rewritten and optimized.

- Fixed the ACIA 6551 emulation. (x64/x128/xcbm2/xpet/xplus4)

- Monitor commands help text is now translated too
(in ports where translation is available at all)

- Monitor IO command now displays IO area even if it is currently
banked out.

- GCR file handling (.G64) issues an error message if the .G64 does not
have the expected structure. Before, VICE just silently ignored such
files.

- IRQ handling fix

** C64/C128 changes
-------------------

- Fixed the digimax sound generation.

- Added the RR clockport disable functionality at $DF00.0. Allows
to disable the RRnet.

- Improved REU compatibility and timing.

** C64 changes
--------------

- Added isepic cartridge emulation.

- Added Double Quick Brown Box cartridge emulation.

** VIC20 changes
----------------

- Improved the sound emulation.

- Fixed the lowest note bug.

- Improved VIC emulation (exact in-line color/reverse mode changes).

** C64DTV changes
-----------------

- New emulator.

** Unix changes
---------------

- XRandR fullscreen implemented

- Command line option `-fullscreen' is supposed to do something
useful.

- Vsync code imported from win32 (based on openGL extension).
see also doc/openGLsync-howto.txt.

- Vidmode (fullscreen support) is broken and therefore marked as
deprecated. It will be removed in the next release if no-one takes
responsibility to fix the broken code and is willing to maintain the
code.

- PAL Emulation (new implementation, improved speed) should be usable
again (it was broken on certain display depths).

- Log messages are always english.

- Only x11 keymaps will be installed when doing a 'make install'.

- MIDI cartridge emulation for x128, x64 and xvic.

** MS-Windows changes
---------------------

- Watcom generated executables are more optimized.

- MIDI cartridge emulation for x128, x64 and xvic.

- When specifying the target for the RS232 communication
(Menu Settings/RS232 Settings), the target can be specified by
name now. Before, you had to use the IP address.

- Fixed some minor errors with the RS232 communication via TCP
connections.

- RS232 can use real devices now, too.
To use this feature, you have to specify the COM port used in
Settings/RS232 Settings like:
\\.\com1: baud=57600 parity=N data=8 stop=1

The characters after the colon can be used to specify additional
settings for the COM port. The string must have the same form as the
mode command's command-line arguments:
[baud=b][parity=p][data=d][stop=s][to={on|off}][xon={on|off}]
[odsr={on|off}][octs={on|off}][dtr={on|off|hs}][rts={on|off|hs|tg}]
[idsr={on|off}]

The above example specifies COM1 with a baud rate of 57600, no parity,
8 data bits and 1 stop bit.

Note that the leading \\.\ is used to distinguish between TCP/IP
targets and real devices, thus, you have to use it.

(Sorry, no fancy UI yet.)

- vsid GUI reworked:
* infoline appears only by pressing "I"
* raises process priority. Otherwise, when in background,
looses cpu power and music is not played at correct speed
* drag&drop support; window also gets focus back on drop
* correct display of emulated sid model (when using -keepenv)
* changed colors

- fixed copy function from the VICE monitor window.

** AmigaOS changes
------------------

** OS/2 changes
---------------

- Fixed 24/32bit display depth problem.

** GP2X changes
---------------

- Fixed black screen problem.

- Pause emulation while the menu is open.

- Added experimental support for USB keyboard and joystick.

- Removed vsid.

** Mac OS X changes
-------------------

- x64a.app and x64dtv.app (Cocoa) are now feature complete
* added flip lists
* added netplay dialog
* added ROM resources
* added video settings dialog
* added record snapshot dialog

- Introduced new control window that replaces old peripherals drawer
* with tape control buttons
* attach/eject buttons for each drive
* drag & drop of disk/tape images

- Introduced Cocoa compile for Mac OS X 10.5 and greater with more features
(see extended Resource Inspector)

- Completely rewritten joystick driver that supports user-definable buttons
for fire and all directions.

- Copy & Paste support for emulator and monitor/log window

- Added x2, x3, x4 view scaling like in Quicktime Player

- Store visibility and size of all windows in user's preferences

- Added Keyset Joystick toggle to quickly disable keyboard joysticks

- Added MIDI support

The VICE 2.1 source archive is available at:
http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 WIN32 binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/WinVICE-2.1.zip

The VICE 2.1 DOS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice21.zip

The VICE 2.1 Mac OS X 10.3/10.4 native Cocoa binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-macosx-cocoa-ub-10.3+4-2.1.dmg

The VICE 2.1 Mac OS X 10.5 native Cocoa binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-macosx-cocoa-ub-10.5-2.1.dmg

The VICE 2.1 Mac OS X X11 Gtk+ binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-macosx-gtk-ub-10.3+4-2.1.dmg

The VICE 2.1 Mac OS X X11 Athena Widgets binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-macosx-x11-ub-10.3+4-2.1.dmg

The VICE 2.1 M68K Amiga OS 3.x binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-AmigaOS3-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 PPC Amiga OS 4.x binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-AmigaOS4-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 PPC MorphOS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-MorphOS-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 Intel AROS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-i686-AROS-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 PPC AROS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-powerpc-AROS-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 AROS64 binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-AROS64-2.1.tar.gz

The VICE 2.1 SkyOS binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-2.1.pkg

The VICE 2.1 GP2X binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-gp2x-2.1.zip

The VICE 2.1 RiscOS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-riscos2_1.zip

The VICE 2.1 Intel BeOS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/BeVICE-2.1.x86.zip

The VICE 2.1 PPC BeOS binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/BeVICE-2.1.powerpc.zip

The VICE 2.1 QNX 4.x binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-2.1-qnx4.tar.F

The VICE 2.1 QNX 6.x binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/VICE-2.1-x86-public.qpr

The VICE 2.1 OS/2 binary archive is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice2-2.1.zip

The VICE 2.1 Minix 3.x binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-minix-2.1.tar.bz2

The VICE 2.1 Atari Mint binary package is available at:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/vice-2.1-1.m68kmint.rpm

The Solaris ports can be found at:
http://www.viceteam.org/solaris.html

The SCO openserver and unixware ports can be found at:
http://www.viceteam.org/sco.html

For more information check out the VICE home page at:

http://www.viceteam.org/

At the time this was written the VICE home page was not updated yet,
rest assured that it will be updated soon.
In the meantime, please use

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

The VICE team wishes you all a Merry Christmas!

The VICE team.
From: Hg on

Fantastic - now I can run all those DTV programs from the Commodore Scene
Database. Or in fact see what a DTV can do at all, as i've just booted up
a DTV for the very first time.

One thing though. Any emulator I use these days I much prefer outputing the
display from the TV-out of my video card to an old CRT TV. The display appears
super-authentic that way. WinUAE being one of the best IMO as it has a special
mode for PAL TVs built in (fullscreen 720x576 at 50hz). Or basically matching
up 1:1 the horizontal pixels in the emulator to each line of the TV.

VICE doesn't seem to have a dedicated output mode for TV display. Any chance
of including this into a future release?
From: bud on

comp.sys.cbm Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2008, 8:21pm (CST+7) From:
news-200803(a)trikaliotis.net (Spiro Trikaliotis)

script:

>[Cross-post, follow-up set to c.e.c.]
>
>VICE 2.1 has been released. …

Thanks to the Vice Team for all their hard work.

I have not yet used VICE, tho' I expect to sometime in the future.

It is impressive that so many 'out-of-date' OSes are covered.

Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

salaam,
dowcom

To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

The fact that 'conventional wisdom' is indeed 'conventional',
does not, in any way, imply that it is wise.

From: Sam Gillett on

"Spiro Trikaliotis" <news-200803(a)trikaliotis.net> wrote net...

> The VICE team wishes you all a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to the VICE Team also!!

And also, thank you VICE Team for all of your work in creating and
maintaining VICE. VICE is truly one of the greatest Commodore programming
efforts of this decade.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: Sean Huxter on

"Sam Gillett" <sgillettnospam(a)diespammergte.net> wrote in message

> "Spiro Trikaliotis" <news-200803(a)trikaliotis.net> wrote net...
>>
>> The VICE team wishes you all a Merry Christmas!
>
> Merry Christmas to the VICE Team also!!
>
> And also, thank you VICE Team for all of your work in creating and
> maintaining VICE. VICE is truly one of the greatest Commodore programming
> efforts of this decade.
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Sam Gillett

I couldn't agree more! I keep VICE on a Flash Drive on a keychain and it's
with me at all times. I have archived a lot of my 1541 disks, GEOS,
geoProgrammer, and VICE is now, quite literally, my main development system.

I'm currently using it to code a few GEOS games that, if I can get off my
butt, will come out hopefully next summer. Nothing amazing, but hopefully
fun.

I usually code it up and test it thoroughly in VICE (both the C64 and C128)
and then move it to my REAL C128 and test it there too.

Your team is doing amazing work!

And after I was able to figure out printing, I was very happy with it.

(Where does one make suggestions? I have a suggestion for printing that
would make life a bit easier for me.)

Again, guys, you are doing amazing work, and I can't thank you enough.

Sean.