From: RJK on
PSU wattage ???
Have trawled through site after site, tried several different "wattage
calculators" that give wildly different figures, seemingly because they want
you to click on a "buy a psu here" link !!

Anyhooo! ...can someone give me a more accurate idea for watts, for ordinary
desktop midi-tower innards as follows. (I know that if one goes too "cheap"
one could end up with a 250watt psu badged as a 500watt etc. so I'll
probably buy and ANTEC.),
....and I most likely will want to add an IDE pci card and another IDE hd, at
a later date.

ATX Conroe865PE motherboard with Realtek LAN and sound on it.
Pentium D925 (2x3ghz - 2x2mb L2 cache)
3 sticks of DDR400
Nvidia 6200 AGP card
pci - Creative SB Audigy 2
pci - Intel K56 flex. data/fax/voice modem, (I think that's still in there!)
2 x 7200 IDE hd's
1 x floppy drive
4 x 80mm fans
1 x dvd r/w drive
1 x cd r/w drive
Occasionally, I plug in my old Canoscan N650OU scanner (UBS powered),

....and of course, some extra capacity but, not too much !!!

TIA, regards,

Richard

From: David Vair on
I am using a BFG 550 ( http://www.bfgtech.com/ ).
I have 4 hard drives, DVD-ROM,DVD-RW, Nvidia 7800 AGP.
PCI- Modem, IDE Card, USB2 card, Audigy 2 with front panel box.
Memory is 4 sticks of Rambus PC800.
4 fans also.
Have no power issues at all. There are plenty of connectors and its quiet.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

From: Anna on
Richard:
Don't get too caught up in this wattage business. You've got a relatively
modest system (even if & when you'll need "extra capacity") so I would think
a 400W+ PSU from one of the usually reliable sources, e.g., Antec, Enermax,
Fortron, Seasonic, etc., should serve you well. Your cost should be well
under $100. Why don't you simply access Newegg's site and see their
offerings together with user comments? And there are a slew of websites that
devote themselves entirely or partly to reporting & testing power supplies.

BTW, you don't mention your current PSU. Is there some problem with your
current unit or you have some suspicion that it's not functioning properly?
Anna

From: RJK on
Thanks David, much obliged :-)

regards, Richard

From: RJK on
Thanks Anna,

No problems atm, ..am planning on cobbling together new, (out of "older
generation / cheaper" parts - already ordered cpu & mobo - might try and
make use of Dads' previous midi/ATX PC case - no 12v 4pin on its' psu
though), PC at my leisure, then eeeeeeveeeeeeeentually move over to it.
....My old faithful under the bench is a 6+ years, and more, old Lian-Li case
with a cheap Q-TEC 550watt <lol> / Socket A PCchips M848A(lr?)/XP2600
Barton/768mb pc2700 166mhz/DDR333/ 2x80gb 6Y080L0 Maxtors / Liteon
LH-20A1P-10C 20x dvd-rewriter (treated it yesterday) / oldish LG 16x10x40
cd r/w ...and it's a HONEY / solid as a rock. Daren't upset it ! ...so
for lots of obvous reasons, I'll spsend the extra money and eventually build
a whole new one, get it installed, and iron out any problems, and after
several months hoping to duplicate my XP Home and apps. platform, I could
then move to it :-) ...Tweaking up XP is the hard / long winded part !

Have been reading newegg and Tomshardware PSU reviews (Fortron/Seasonic
:-), and lots of others.
After lots of reading wildly differing opinions, I was beginning to suspect
that something around 400 quality watts would do, then there's the
consideration that even quite high quality psu's perform more stably at
their "middle" loading range.
I've been eyeing up the Seasonics at my favourite hardware vendor :-)

.....thanks again,

regards, Richard

Pages: 1 2
Prev: AMD Processor conflict?