From: BD on
Hello. I also bought a Sony with Vista. My version is the stupid vista business. XP laptops are so hard to find with the right specs now a days. I removed the stinky ol Vista and installed the XP.

Finding drivers is a nightmare. Anyone have any luck with drivers for a VGNSZ650N? I can't get the motion eye to work.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
From: Paul on
BD wrote:
> Hello. I also bought a Sony with Vista. My version is the stupid vista business.
> XP laptops are so hard to find with the right specs now a days. I removed the stinky ol Vista and installed the XP.
>
> Finding drivers is a nightmare. Anyone have any luck with drivers for a VGNSZ650N? I can't get the motion eye to work.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Well, this time it is different.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNSZ650N&upd_id=2876&os_id=29

The SODCAM-13065500-US.EXE file said it was only for Vista. The
descriptive text was "Sony Visual Communication Camera" with no
version info.

In the case of the file for the VGN-FZ140E, the installer did an OS
check, and said it was only for Vista or WinXP. Since I have neither,
I couldn't get any further with that file.

As long as nobody provides information (like enumeration info) about
their cameras, it'll be pretty hard to track anything down. It is possible
the driver for the VGN-FZ140E might work, but to know that for a fact,
you'd have to compare enumeration info for the two laptops and their hardware.

The Linux people are more organized about this stuff.

OK, read this article. Sony is using different cameras, so you need to
match the description, to what other people are using for their laptops.
I'm not certain about the VGP-VCCx identifications - it would help if
Sony gave each camera a unique name, to make finding the driver easier.

*******
http://lsb.blogdns.net/ry5u870/

The devices of interest are custom OEM built-in webcams based on the
Ricoh R5U870 USB webcam controller chip or something very similar.
They report USB vendor ID 0x05CA, and may or may not report UVC interface
descriptors. The Windows device drivers are named Mvc25u870.sys, 5U870CAP.sys,
and newer UVC model filter drivers are named R5U870FLx86.sys.

Devices known to fit this description include:

Device ID Description
05ca:1830 Sony VAIO SZ webcam, found in certain VAIO SZ
machines that shipped with Windows XP. Known as
"Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2"

05ca:1832 Sony VAIO UX webcam
Known as "Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC3"

05ca:1833 Sony VAIO AR webcam, found in certain VAIO AR machines
that shipped with Windows XP. Known as
"Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2"

05ca:1834 Sony VAIO AR webcam, found in certain VAIO AR machines
that shipped with Windows XP. Known as
"Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2"

05ca:1835 Sony VAIO SZ webcam, found in certain VAIO SZ machines
that shipped with Windows Vista. Known as
"Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5"

05ca:1836 Sony VAIO webcam, found in certain VAIO FE and VAIO AR
machines that shipped with Windows Vista. This device
is similar to the above 1835 device, but requires a
different microcode file. Known as
"Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4"

05ca:1870 HP Pavilion built-in webcam
There are two distinct models with the same device IDs:

1. "HP Webcam 1000" with VGA resolution
This webcam appears to be present on HP Pavilion dv1000
series machines only.
2. "HP Pavilion Webcam" with 1.3MP resolution
This webcam appears to be present on HP Pavilion machines
other than dv1000 series.

05ca:1810 HP Pavilion built-in webcam (UVC, 1.3MP resolution)
Known as "HP Pavilion Webcam". This device is very similar
to the above 05ca:1870 "HP Pavilion Webcam" device, but
partly complies with the UVC driver model.
*******

To get info about a USB device, you can use this program (UVCView)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCViewdwn.mspx

Good luck,
Paul