From: Carole UK on
Hi there,
Running XP Home, plenty of RAM, nothing unusual.
I installed broadband for a friend, done it many times before and nothing
special about this one. Installation went fine except that as soon as I
plugged in the modem I got a window headed 'Application Error' and a
sub-message 'Hardware Error : 1024 Contact your hardware supplier'. Seemed
likely that the modem was faulty, except that the installation completed fine
and we got online. The same error window displays every time we boot up -
we just cllick OK and continue as normal. I've since got a new modem -
re-installed - exactly the same error box displays, but again we can get
online fine. So it's irritating but not disastrous.
Any ideas why we get the message and how we can get rid of it ? Thanks.
--
carole UK
From: smlunatick on
On Oct 24, 12:08 pm, Carole UK <Carol...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hi there,
> Running XP Home, plenty of RAM, nothing unusual.
> I installed broadband for a friend, done it many times before and nothing
> special about this one. Installation went fine except that as soon as I
> plugged in the modem I got a window headed 'Application Error' and a
> sub-message 'Hardware Error : 1024 Contact your hardware supplier'. Seemed
> likely that the modem was faulty, except that the installation completed fine
> and we got online. The same error window displays every time we boot up -
> we just cllick OK and continue as normal. I've since got a new modem -
> re-installed - exactly the same error box displays, but again we can get
> online fine. So it's irritating but not disastrous.
> Any ideas why we get the message and how we can get rid of it ? Thanks.
> --
> carole UK

What type of "broadband" and how is the modem connecting to the PC
(USB or Ethernet RJ-45?)

From: Carole UK on
Not sure what you mean by 'what type of broadband' I'm afraid - ADSL - I'm in
the UK. Do you need to know the speed ? Please ask me more precisely what
you need to know. :-))
Connection is USB - I know ethernet is more reliable and most of our
connections provide both options (I always choose ethernet). However, this
one only provides a USB connection. I've tried a couple of different ports
with the same error still remaining. the modem is a well known
'Speedtouch'modem. The old modems used to be Sagem and they were frequently
faulty, so it appears that they are being phased out. I do free PC support
for many friends in surrounding villages, and there's usually little glitches
but I've never had this one before.

--
carole UK

From: Paul on
Carole UK wrote:
> Hi there,
> Running XP Home, plenty of RAM, nothing unusual.
> I installed broadband for a friend, done it many times before and nothing
> special about this one. Installation went fine except that as soon as I
> plugged in the modem I got a window headed 'Application Error' and a
> sub-message 'Hardware Error : 1024 Contact your hardware supplier'. Seemed
> likely that the modem was faulty, except that the installation completed fine
> and we got online. The same error window displays every time we boot up -
> we just cllick OK and continue as normal. I've since got a new modem -
> re-installed - exactly the same error box displays, but again we can get
> online fine. So it's irritating but not disastrous.
> Any ideas why we get the message and how we can get rid of it ? Thanks.

This thread implies it can be fixed with some driver update from the
Speedtouch web site.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-19780-Hardware-error-1024-Please-consult-your-program-vendor.html

I see a mention here of a driver level fix.
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/products/faq.asp?ProductID=471

"Release 3.01 UK (**JUNE 2007 UPDATE**) - Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP

Includes fix for "Error 1024 - Hardware Error""

HTH,
Paul
From: David B. on
Personally I would contact the DSL supplier and request a new modem with
ethernet capability.

--

----