From: Eduardo on
"C. Kevin Provance" <kevin@*tpasoft*.com> escribi� en el mensaje

> Did Win95 have a "MyDocuments" folder?? I'm probably wrong, but I can't
> help but remember that started with Win98.

Yes. I remember that this folder started with Windows 95.

From: BeastFish on
> > It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
> > Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the
> > API,
> > it is created automatically (I have tested this).
>
> I cannot limit it to Win98 and above.
> BTW, I already fixed it in one of my programs. fortunately I thought about
> this problem before I did any release.

Been awhile and this is from memory, so I may be misremembering... but I
/think/ the CSIDL for APPDATA started with Win98SE (maybe 98 mach I, but for
some reason my brain's saying SE), and prior versions of Winders don't have
a CSIDL for APPDATA. And IIRC, the API should return nothing if the CSIDL
(in this case, APPDATA) doesn't exist (spits an error, thus returning
nothing). So you may only need to check if the API returns something for
the CSIDL, if it doesn't then it's either Windows Old or Windows Hosed.

It's been awhile since I've looked at my special folders functions, and I'm
not on my dev box at the moment, so the odds I'm remembering correctly are
probably around 50/50 <g>

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Kevin Provance wrote:
>| If the OS doesn't have an APPDATA folder, (shooting from the hip) you can just
>| stick your configuration information in Program Files (or wherever your app is).
>
> It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
> Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the API,
> it is created automatically (I have tested this).

For curiosity sake, I just fired up a Win95 (950b; build 1111) VM that's *almost*
pure. The API returns these folders:

CSIDL_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data
CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data

Which all show a creation date just 17 minutes past the \Windows\System folder.
Unfortunately, the system isn't totally pure, as I did install a few utilities
(textpad, winzip) before saving it. And it does have IE3 on it (can't recall what
came with this one?). But it sorta shows that these folders will virtually *never*
fail to be there, eh? Do you recall any of the specifics behind your test?
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: expvb on
"Kevin Provance" <kevin(a)removetpasoftremove.com> wrote in message
> It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
> Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the
> API,
> it is created automatically (I have tested this).

In some versions of Windows the folders aren't created automatically, so you
have to use CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE(In shell32.dll version 5.00 or above).

From: Eduardo on
"expvb" <nobody(a)cox.net> escribi� en el mensaje
> "Kevin Provance" <kevin(a)removetpasoftremove.com> wrote in message
>> It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
>> Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the
>> API,
>> it is created automatically (I have tested this).
>
> In some versions of Windows the folders aren't created automatically, so
> you have to use CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE(In shell32.dll version 5.00 or above).

Did you mean shell32.dll version below 5.00?
What I understood so far is that with shell32.dll version 5.00 or above the
folder will exist for sure. Am I wrong?

And seemingly, reading Karl's latest post in this thread, it existed in
Win95.