From: Karl E. Peterson on
expvb wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote ...
>> For curiosity sake, I just fired up a Win95 (950b; build 1111) VM that's
>> *almost* pure. The API returns these folders:
>>
>> CSIDL_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
>> CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data
>> CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA: C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data
>
> You must have installed something that updated the shell, or you are using a
> different function.

Found it. I built a brand spanking new OSR2 VM, and *none* of the three above
folders were present.

Installed the "Virtual Machine Additions" that came with VPC2004, and *all three* of
the above folders appeared.

Also, shfolder.dll was added, thus offering support for SHGetFolderPathA.

Time to go home! I've learned more today than many days, now. :-)
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: C Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
| Add/Remove programs shows:
| - Command Prompt Here Power Toy
| - Cygnus Hex Editor
| - Send To Extensions Power Toy
| - TextPad 4.6
| - Tweak UI
| - Virtual Machine Additions
| - WinZip
|
| On the ME system, the only thing I've installed are the Virtual Machine
Additions.

| Hmmm, looking on the 95 systems, the shfolder.dll files on both have an
internal
| version stamp of 5.00.2919.200 and the product name resource is
"Microsoft(R)
| Windows (R) 2000 Operating System". I have no idea where that originated!
Here's
| the list of supposed possibilities:

The only thing here that doesn't fit in a "clean" install of Win95 would be
the VM additions. So, after a Google, this came up:

It says "Virtual Machine Additions is always installed on the guest
operating system of the virtual machine. You should never install Virtual
Machine Additions on the host operating system." So, what files are
included in that package? I can't find a list, but it *seems* to me that in
order for these additions to function properly on the *guest* system, some
newer files would have to be installed.

Or not...it's a wild guess. I'll see if I can find a list of installed
files.

- K

From: C Kevin Provance on
Looks like I posted a little too late. Good call tho, eh? <g>

- K

From: Bill McCarthy on

> Bill McCarthy wrote:

>>> Differencing disks (coming to terms with) have been on my TODO list for
>>> too long now!
>>
>> I use to use them. The idea is you have two .vhd's. One is the pure one
>> form the install. You create a differencing disk from it and mark the
>> original as read-only.
>> This is best suited to quick tests such as build and deployment tests.
>> If
>> you are using it over time, I find/think (no metrics on it) performance
>> degrades as the differencing disc gets larger. You also have the problem
>> of
>> updating the original OS will be on the differencing disc not the main
>> disc.
>
> I do something similar, though it may be more frustrating at times. I
> just turn on the Undo disk thingie, so that after doing a bunch of tests I
> can just click the [X] and tell it to Close and Discard Changes.
> Occassionally, if I want to make permanent changes, I'll disable the Undo,
> do the change, then re-enable Undo. Seems to work pretty well.

I can't recall why but I know I gave up on using undo discs years ago. It
may have been performance related.

>>> Yep. That's what I'm doing now, too. Store a clean one, then store a
>>> couple more with various common scenarios, and build from there as
>>> needed.
>>
>> That's what I do if I'm working on betas or the like where I want to use
>> the
>> VPC a lot, I make a complete copy. But if you are doing a lot of
>> deployment
>> tests during the day, using differencing discs and just copying them is a
>> lot less disc thrashing.
>
> I should probably take the time to try them out, sometime.
> --

Yeh there pretty cool. I still think the main thing is to have a separate
real hard drive. The bigger, the faster ,the better. If you can batch file
script it, then it's ready for use ;)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
C Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
>| Add/Remove programs shows:
>| - Command Prompt Here Power Toy
>| - Cygnus Hex Editor
>| - Send To Extensions Power Toy
>| - TextPad 4.6
>| - Tweak UI
>| - Virtual Machine Additions
>| - WinZip
>|
>| On the ME system, the only thing I've installed are the Virtual Machine
>Additions.
>|
>| Hmmm, looking on the 95 systems, the shfolder.dll files on both have an internal
>| version stamp of 5.00.2919.200 and the product name resource is "Microsoft(R)
>| Windows (R) 2000 Operating System". I have no idea where that originated! Here's
>| the list of supposed possibilities:
>
> The only thing here that doesn't fit in a "clean" install of Win95 would be
> the VM additions. So, after a Google, this came up:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708377.aspx
>
> It says "Virtual Machine Additions is always installed on the guest
> operating system of the virtual machine. You should never install Virtual
> Machine Additions on the host operating system." So, what files are
> included in that package? I can't find a list, but it *seems* to me that in
> order for these additions to function properly on the *guest* system, some
> newer files would have to be installed.
>
> Or not...it's a wild guess. I'll see if I can find a list of installed
> files.

Yep. I had to prove it to myself. Built a brand new OSR2 VM, no appdata folders.
Added VMAs, and there they were! The new shfolder.dll was also in the system
folder. This is, I guess, a little disturbing, as it really does present a conflict
for testing on those older systems. VMs are a royal PITA without the VMAs! Ugh...
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org