From: Eduardo on
Hi,

Reading about checking directories existence and creating directories, a
question came to my mind.

I recentry changed the place where some of my programs save the data to make
them Vista compliant, so I retrieve the APPDATA path and create a new folder
there (if it doesn't exists already) and save the files there.

But doing so I am relying on that the directory APPDATA will already exist
in the client machine.
My question is, can I rely that it will exist in Win95 and NT4 systems?

From: Eduardo on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> escribi� en el mensaje
> Eduardo wrote:
>> But doing so I am relying on that the directory APPDATA will already
>> exist
>> in the client machine.
>> My question is, can I rely that it will exist in Win95 and NT4 systems?
>
> No. You might find this discussion useful:
>
> http://news.jrsoftware.org/news/innosetup/msg69444.html
> and
> http://news.jrsoftware.org/news/innosetup/msg75561.html

Thanks.

What a mess. They have said that before Vista it was recommended to write to
APPDATA folder (and it is true), but they must think that every user has the
latest OS version on their machines.

I usually don't write my programs to run just on the latest version of
Windows.

So now I need to check the OS version, and then see if I write to the
APPDATA folder or to somewhere else (the place that I used before). A lot of
complication for something that should be very simple.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Eduardo wrote:
> What a mess. They have said that before Vista it was recommended to write to
> APPDATA folder (and it is true), but they must think that every user has the
> latest OS version on their machines.
>
> I usually don't write my programs to run just on the latest version of
> Windows.
>
> So now I need to check the OS version, and then see if I write to the
> APPDATA folder or to somewhere else (the place that I used before). A lot of
> complication for something that should be very simple.

If the OS doesn't have an APPDATA folder, (shooting from the hip) you can just stick
your configuration information in Program Files (or wherever your app is).
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Kevin Provance on
It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the API,
it is created automatically (I have tested this).

- Kev

From: Eduardo on
"Kevin Provance" <kevin(a)removetpasoftremove.com> escribi� en el mensaje

> It shouldn't be a problem from Win98 on up if you use the API. Granted,
> Win98/ME's location is based in the Windows folder, but when using the
> API,
> it is created automatically (I have tested this).

I cannot limit it to Win98 and above.
BTW, I already fixed it in one of my programs. fortunately I thought about
this problem before I did any release.