From: Joel Koltner on
"Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 9, 12:51 pm, "Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgro...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
>> I guarantee you that, whatever the potential health hazards posed by WiFi,
>> GSM, etc. may be, there are orders of magnitudes more lives saved by
>> wireless
>> technology than lost due to it.
>I don't know. How often do you drive around people who drive will
>using a wireless gadget? I think I'd want to do some research before
>making any guarantees.

It's a money-back guarantee, where if I'm wrong, I give you back all the money
you paid for my opinion. :-)

From: Skybuck Flying on

"Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> However if the world turns into one big cancer infected place because of
>> all the mobile phones and wifi's and gsm's and so forth than nope :)
>
> I guarantee you that, whatever the potential health hazards posed by WiFi,
> GSM, etc. may be, there are orders of magnitudes more lives saved by
> wireless technology than lost due to it.

What kind of hog-wash is this ? :)

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Dave Platt on
In article <840a7$4c106403$54190f09$31474(a)cache4.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
Skybuck Flying <IntoTheFuture(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I guarantee you that, whatever the potential health hazards posed by WiFi,
>> GSM, etc. may be, there are orders of magnitudes more lives saved by
>> wireless technology than lost due to it.

>What kind of hog-wash is this ? :)

I suspect that Joel was referring to (e.g.) the number of lives which
have been saved, because somebody was able to call for help quickly on
a cellular telephone, rather than having to drive five miles down the
road to the nearest vandalized payphone. Getting help on the way one
or two minutes faster makes a big difference in the survival rates for
severe trauma, heart attacks, etc.

Skybuck, before you go accusing WiFi and cellphones and wireless in
general of causing cancer, you really ought to do some actual
*research* on the subject, OK? Go look up the actual studied
published in the last five years, and see if there's any real
correlation between the use of these technologies, and the incidence
of cancer in their users.

I realize that actually doing research (even second-hand) would take
time away from gaming... but you might find it enlightening enough to
be worthwhile.

[And, for crying out loud, Steve Jobs did *not* invent cellphones or
WiFi, and I don't know of any evidence to suggest that the
availability of the iPhone has increased cell-phone usage above what
it would have been if the iPhone had never existed. You really ought
to have a good reason to issue oaths of damnation against somebody!]

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: nik Simpson on
On 6/10/2010 12:15 AM, Dave Platt wrote:

> [And, for crying out loud, Steve Jobs did *not* invent cellphones or
> WiFi, and I don't know of any evidence to suggest that the
> availability of the iPhone has increased cell-phone usage above what
> it would have been if the iPhone had never existed. You really ought
> to have a good reason to issue oaths of damnation against somebody!]

Given the well documented problems of the iPhone on AT&T's network, it
may have even reduced the number of calls, well completed calls anyway ;-)
--
Nik Simpson
From: Joel Koltner on
> I suspect that the energy in the wifi/gsm/wireless signals go through the
> human body and might trigger DNA changes to certain cells/parts of the body.

Yeah, you and plenty of other people.

It's been extensively researched; the results are generally somewhere between
"it seems quite harmless" and "pretty inconclusive, really hard to say." So
while no one would suggest it's 100% certain that such low-energy EM waves are
harmless, it does seem pretty clear that if they do create harm, it's a very,
VERY small risk in the grand scheme of things.

At some point you have to decide if the conveniences of modern technology are
worth the risk given science's best asesssment of what those risks are. None
of your great-great-great grandparents was ever killed by driving down an
interstate highway too fast... although it wouldn't have been unheard of for
them to be killed from something as simple a relatively small cut on, say,
their foot while walking along a beach that then became infected and
eventually killed them. But just as surely as they'd love to have had
penicillin -- thereby decreasing their risk of death -- they just as surely
would have liked automobiles, despite the well-known increase in the risk of
death from them (especially for young guys like *you*, Skybuck!).

Does it bother you to stand in front of a light bulb? You're getting
*hundreds* of watts there at *many terahertz* after all... makes your WiFi
gear seem absolutely puny!

> The problem is that scientists probably can't scan the entire body for these
> changes ?!

The problem is that when you're looking for causal effects down in the noise,
you need a lot of time and a lot of people to average results out enough to
draw any meaningful conclusions and hence such studies are quite expensive for
a questionable benefit.

> I don't game as much as I used to... mostly because pirates like me have
> been cut-off from online gaming ;) :)
>
> And also maybe I grown out of it a bit ;)

Would it be too much to ask that you've grown to appreciate that theft of
intellectual property is just about as bad as theft of material goods?

---Joel