From: Maddoctor on
No, AMD believes competition is good. AMD wants to secure discreete GPUs
market by allowing nVIDIA to do its own APUs.

From: Neil Harrington on

"nik Simpson" <nik_s(a)knology.net> wrote in message
> On 7/19/2010 10:07 AM, Maddoctor wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure AMD has allowed nVIDIA to integrate its GPU to AMD
>> processors especially family 10h core. The main cause was Dirk Meyer
>> hates
>> Intel.
>>

> Pretty sure you are wrong there, AMD has it's own graphics business that
> competes directly with NVidia, so making life easy for NVidia would come
> under the "cutting of your nose to spite your face" category

I don't think so. Yes, AMD bought out ATI four years ago, so now produces
ATI graphics hardware in addition to (and sometimes combined with) its own
hardware. But AMD surely realizes that NVIDIA remains a very popular maker
of graphics hardware, so making it easy for them to integrate would not hurt
their business at all as far as I can see -- it would just give them
"another stall in the marketplace" so to speak. You can already use NVIDIA
cards in AMD systems anyway, so why not?

From: GMAN on
In article <CM-dndHx97XVo9XRnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:

>"nik Simpson" <nik_s(a)knology.net> wrote in message
>> On 7/19/2010 10:07 AM, Maddoctor wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure AMD has allowed nVIDIA to integrate its GPU to AMD
>>> processors especially family 10h core. The main cause was Dirk Meyer
>>> hates
>>> Intel.
>>>

>> Pretty sure you are wrong there, AMD has it's own graphics business that
>> competes directly with NVidia, so making life easy for NVidia would come
>> under the "cutting of your nose to spite your face" category
>
>I don't think so. Yes, AMD bought out ATI four years ago, so now produces
>ATI graphics hardware in addition to (and sometimes combined with) its own
>hardware. But AMD surely realizes that NVIDIA remains a very popular maker
>of graphics hardware,

Not after their GPU and chipset fiasco. I sit here with a HP tx1000 that cost
over $1300 years ago , that now will not boot due to fried nvidia hardware.

There are endless people suffering from this. Dell/HP/ even Apple have laptops
with this hardware in them.

From: nik Simpson on
On 7/21/2010 11:13 PM, Maddoctor wrote:
> No, AMD believes competition is good. AMD wants to secure discreete GPUs
> market by allowing nVIDIA to do its own APUs.

There's a big difference between allowing NVidia graphics cards and
chipsets to work with AMD processors, and allowing NVidia to do an
integrated CPU/GPU. The former that just requires a functional PCIe
implementation, that latter is a major engineering project.
--
Nik Simpson
From: Neil Harrington on

"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
> In article <CM-dndHx97XVo9XRnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Neil
> Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>
>>"nik Simpson" <nik_s(a)knology.net> wrote in message

>>> Pretty sure you are wrong there, AMD has it's own graphics business that
>>> competes directly with NVidia, so making life easy for NVidia would come
>>> under the "cutting of your nose to spite your face" category
>>
>>I don't think so. Yes, AMD bought out ATI four years ago, so now produces
>>ATI graphics hardware in addition to (and sometimes combined with) its own
>>hardware. But AMD surely realizes that NVIDIA remains a very popular maker
>>of graphics hardware,
>
> Not after their GPU and chipset fiasco. I sit here with a HP tx1000 that
> cost
> over $1300 years ago , that now will not boot due to fried nvidia
> hardware.

That is the Nvidia chipset that included the GPU on the single chip, right?

> There are endless people suffering from this. Dell/HP/ even Apple have
> laptops
> with this hardware in them.

I suppose it depends on how exactly the integration would be carried out,
and under whose name it would be marketed. From the OP's post that isn't
clear to me.

I've read there was some talk of Intel buying Nvidia, which might suggest
they were thinking of doing the same thing AMD did with ATI. Maybe AMD
considered making an arrangement of some sort with Nvidia just to head Intel
off at the pass, so to speak. Dunno, just guessing.