From: Thomas Andersson on
Hi!

Building a system on a Asus P7P55D Deluxe with a Intel i5-750 (might go 760,
waiting for the word on it).
I know I want to run 8GB (so 4 sticks) of 1600MHz (PC3-12800) ram with it
and will most likely go Corsair XMS3. Now I wonder what to chose between the
set of 4 matched DIMMs (CL9) or 2 sets of matched DIMMs (CL8).
The benefit fo the first set is that all dimms are matched and guaranteed to
work at specc, the second option is $30 cheaper though (and slightly better
timings, but I guess I'll lose that due to using 4 DIMMs).
Any idea on what is the best option, how would the 2 sets work timing and
top speed vise compared to the fully matched set?
Is it possible to run the CL8 sets at specced stats by increasing voltage of
the memory controller?
Anyone know either of these sets and can share a word on timinga dn
overclocking?

From: Rob on

"Thomas Andersson" <thomas(a)tifozi.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Building a system on a Asus P7P55D Deluxe with a Intel i5-750 (might go
> 760, waiting for the word on it).
> I know I want to run 8GB (so 4 sticks) of 1600MHz (PC3-12800) ram with it
> and will most likely go Corsair XMS3. Now I wonder what to chose between
> the set of 4 matched DIMMs (CL9) or 2 sets of matched DIMMs (CL8).
> The benefit fo the first set is that all dimms are matched and guaranteed
> to work at specc, the second option is $30 cheaper though (and slightly
> better timings, but I guess I'll lose that due to using 4 DIMMs).
> Any idea on what is the best option, how would the 2 sets work timing and
> top speed vise compared to the fully matched set?
> Is it possible to run the CL8 sets at specced stats by increasing voltage
> of the memory controller?
> Anyone know either of these sets and can share a word on timinga dn
> overclocking?

Intel i-series have the memory controller on the CPU die, and state that
raising memory voltage above 1.65v can damage the CPU, so whatever
option you choose, don't increase this.
I don't know about the i5-570, but I overclock an i7-920 to 4GHz simply
by raising the FSB frequency, increasing vcore slightly, and having very
good
CPU cooling.
Best place to check is the Asus VIP forums and look for help with
overclocking
your particular motherboard.

HTH,
--
Rob

From: Thomas Andersson on
Rob wrote:
> "Thomas Andersson" <thomas(a)tifozi.net> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> Building a system on a Asus P7P55D Deluxe with a Intel i5-750 (might
>> go 760, waiting for the word on it).
>> I know I want to run 8GB (so 4 sticks) of 1600MHz (PC3-12800) ram
>> with it and will most likely go Corsair XMS3. Now I wonder what to
>> chose between the set of 4 matched DIMMs (CL9) or 2 sets of matched
>> DIMMs (CL8). The benefit fo the first set is that all dimms are matched
>> and
>> guaranteed to work at specc, the second option is $30 cheaper though
>> (and slightly better timings, but I guess I'll lose that due to
>> using 4 DIMMs). Any idea on what is the best option, how would the 2 sets
>> work
>> timing and top speed vise compared to the fully matched set?
>> Is it possible to run the CL8 sets at specced stats by increasing
>> voltage of the memory controller?
>> Anyone know either of these sets and can share a word on timinga dn
>> overclocking?
>
> Intel i-series have the memory controller on the CPU die, and state
> that raising memory voltage above 1.65v can damage the CPU, so
> whatever option you choose, don't increase this.
> I don't know about the i5-570, but I overclock an i7-920 to 4GHz
> simply by raising the FSB frequency, increasing vcore slightly, and
> having very good
> CPU cooling.
> Best place to check is the Asus VIP forums and look for help with
> overclocking
> your particular motherboard.

eh? Thanks but my question wasn't about overclocking the CPU (or even the
ram really) but rather about stability, timings etc and the differentce
between matched and non-matched sets.

From: Foke on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:38:16 +0200, "Thomas Andersson" <thomas(a)tifozi.net>
wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>> "Thomas Andersson" <thomas(a)tifozi.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Building a system on a Asus P7P55D Deluxe with a Intel i5-750 (might
>>> go 760, waiting for the word on it).
>>> I know I want to run 8GB (so 4 sticks) of 1600MHz (PC3-12800) ram
>>> with it and will most likely go Corsair XMS3. Now I wonder what to
>>> chose between the set of 4 matched DIMMs (CL9) or 2 sets of matched
>>> DIMMs (CL8). The benefit fo the first set is that all dimms are matched
>>> and
>>> guaranteed to work at specc, the second option is $30 cheaper though
>>> (and slightly better timings, but I guess I'll lose that due to
>>> using 4 DIMMs). Any idea on what is the best option, how would the 2 sets
>>> work
>>> timing and top speed vise compared to the fully matched set?
>>> Is it possible to run the CL8 sets at specced stats by increasing
>>> voltage of the memory controller?
>>> Anyone know either of these sets and can share a word on timinga dn
>>> overclocking?
>>
>> Intel i-series have the memory controller on the CPU die, and state
>> that raising memory voltage above 1.65v can damage the CPU, so
>> whatever option you choose, don't increase this.
>> I don't know about the i5-570, but I overclock an i7-920 to 4GHz
>> simply by raising the FSB frequency, increasing vcore slightly, and
>> having very good
>> CPU cooling.
>> Best place to check is the Asus VIP forums and look for help with
>> overclocking
>> your particular motherboard.
>
>eh? Thanks but my question wasn't about overclocking the CPU (or even the
>ram really) but rather about stability, timings etc and the differentce
>between matched and non-matched sets.

Well, I don't know if this helps you but...

I recently built a system around a P7P55D (non Deluxe... the Deluxe didn't
have any additional features that I needed) and initially installed 2
sticks of Crucial at 1GB per.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148322

This was an XP system so 2GB was an OK choice. I later upgraded to
Windows 7 32 bit and although it won't address the entire 4GB, I decided
to throw in two more gig so I purchased the above 2 sticks again. So
although it wasn't four matched sticks, they all ran just fine and at very
tight memory timings. Below is a report via Everest:

Memory Timings:
CAS Latency (CL) 7T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 7T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 7T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 24T
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 68T
Command Rate (CR) 1T
RAS To RAS Delay (tRRD) 4T
Read To Precharge Delay (tRTP) 5T
Write To Precharge Delay (tWTP) 21T
Four Activate Window Delay (tFAW) 20T
CKE Min. Pulse Width (tCKE) 4T
Refresh Period (tREF) 630T
Round Trip Latency (tRTL) 45T

As you can see, these all run at 7CL, 1T.

I understand you want to have 8GB, so I don't know if there is a
comparable 2GB module for these but Crucial's site would probably answer
that question.