From: Mike on

Hi everyone,

I just bought the HP Pavilion a1340n, it came with Windows XP Media
Center Edition. I reformatted the hard drive and install Windows XP
Professional SP2. I installed all the necessary drivers for this PC
and everything seems to be working okay, but under Device Manager it
shows one device that is "Unknown Device" This Unknown device is
listed under Other Devices category.

Before I installed XP Professional, I wrote down all the listing and
categories of the Device Manager within Windows XP Media Center
Edition.

After I installed XP Professional SP2 I compared the listings under
Device Manager of XP Professional and XP Media Center edition, beside
the one "Unknown device", the listing under XP Professional also
missing the ARPC Devices category which shows under XP Media Center
Edition.

Here is the comparison between Windows XP Professional and XP Media
Center

Windows XP Professional SP2:
? Other Devices
?! Unknown Device
Properties - Location: on PCI standard ISA bridge
Details: ACPI\AWY0001\4&1EC577C0&0

Windows XP Media Center:
- APRC Devices
- MS ArACPI Driver
Properties - Location: on PCI standard ISA bridge
Details: ACPI\AWY0001\4&1EC577C0&0

MS ArPolicy Driver

As you can see from these two listing, the Unknown Device is the MS
ArACPI Drive.

I've been trying for the last 3 days trying to find where I can
download this MS ArACPI Driver. Does anyone know what is this MS
ArACPI Driver and does it supports Windows XP Professional? I also
uninstall/reinstall all the drivers, but nothing helps. So far HP
Support will not help me because they told me that because this PC
came with Windows XP media center and I installed Windows XP
Professional. They only support the original operating system that
came with the PC.

Here is the following hardware components for my PC.

HP Pavilion model a1340n. Inside the computer is untouched.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
Memory: 1 Gig Ram
hard drive 250 Gig SATA
DVD: Lightscribe DVD Writer
Graphics: Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series
Modem: Agere Systems Softmodem
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB memory card reader

And again, I have installed all the necessary drivers including the
motherboard chipset driver and compared the Device Manager settings
from XP Media Center and XP Professional SP2 and it is the same except
for those noted above.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mike

From: rod.bibeau on
I am currently having the exact same issue. Same computer. Same
reinstall as well.

I have been searching. When I started to dig, I found this site:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/53395

The download link is directly from MS. I am going to try that now.

From: rod.bibeau on
Nevermind that post. That link goes to windows update.

From: doeppel on
ok I just found this on Microsoft which lists all the files that were
listed under WMC. So it has to do with the Away mode functionality...

Dave

From: doeppel on
forgot the link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpmce/html/install_config_awaymode.asp