From: ACP on

"ACP" <none(a)noone.none> wrote in message
> I'm installing two sticks of 1GB - DDR2 RAM in the subject mobo.
>
> Which slots should they go in; The two yellow, the two black or a black
> and yellow in the same bank?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks guys for replying. This is the first dual channel board I've
assembled.

I did RTFM and they do not say how to configure the RAM for proper dual
channel operation. They just talk about A1, A2 and B1, B2.

� You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The
system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel
configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then
mapped for single-channel operation.

� Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility,
it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor.

� Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 8 GB
system memory when you installed four 2 GB DDR2 memory modules.

� This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb chips
or double sided x16 memory modules.

The above is cut and pasted from the P5B manual. Nothing about
installation for proper dual channel operation.

So, I'll look for something in the BIOS or some 3rd party utility like
Sandra to make sure all is well.

I received all the innards of the new PC today but the case will not arrive
till tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

From: Barry Watzman on
See page 2-15:

"Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the
black slots as one pair of dual channel memory configuration."

As Asus has color coded the slots, for dual channel operation, both blue
slots is one pair and both black slots is another pair.

From: ACP on
Here's what I found in my P5B - Deluxe manual, Second Edition V2 - July,
2006.. It's located on page 2-16 as a foot note to the RAM QVL. Nothing on
page 2-15 referring to RAM location. Same information is in the ASUS pdf
file for the manual on their web site.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

======================================

A - Supports one module inserted into either slot, in Single-channel memory
configuration.

B - Supports one pair of modules inserted into either Channel A or Channel B
as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration.

C - Supports four modules inserted into the yellow and black slots as two
pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

On my board there are yellow and black headers. One of each for channel A
and one of each for channel B.
==================================

From "B" above I read that to say that for dual channel configuration both
DIMMS go in the same channel, not the same color headers which be one in
each channel.

From: Barry Watzman on
Re: "From "B" above I read that to say that for dual channel
configuration both DIMMS go in the same channel"

By definition, that is NEVER true. For dual channel, you need one
module in each channel.

The problem is that channels have nothing to do with socket color
coding. Some motherboards color code the channels (all sockets
belonging to the same channel are the same color), some color code where
you put the modules for proper dual channel operation (each channel has
one socket of each color).

Since it's done both ways, you just have to read the manual. See my

From: Major Ninth on
actually the p5B dlx has yellow and black connectors not blue. see the board
dwg for A1 B1 etc.

-john

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> See page 2-15:
>
> "Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the
> black slots as one pair of dual channel memory configuration."
>
> As Asus has color coded the slots, for dual channel operation, both blue
> slots is one pair and both black slots is another pair.
>

> ACP wrote:
>> "ACP" <none(a)noone.none> wrote in message
>>> I'm installing two sticks of 1GB - DDR2 RAM in the subject mobo.
>>>
>>> Which slots should they go in; The two yellow, the two black or a black
>>> and yellow in the same bank?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Thanks guys for replying. This is the first dual channel board I've
>> assembled.
>>
>> I did RTFM and they do not say how to configure the RAM for proper dual
>> channel operation. They just talk about A1, A2 and B1, B2.
>>
>> � You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The
>> system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the
>> dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized
>> channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.
>>
>> � Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum
>> compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the
>> same vendor.
>>
>> � Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 8
>> GB system memory when you installed four 2 GB DDR2 memory modules.
>>
>> � This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb
>> chips or double sided x16 memory modules.
>>
>> The above is cut and pasted from the P5B manual. Nothing about
>> installation for proper dual channel operation.
>>
>> So, I'll look for something in the BIOS or some 3rd party utility like
>> Sandra to make sure all is well.
>>
>> I received all the innards of the new PC today but the case will not
>> arrive till tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2