From: Markus22222 on
I'm in trouble connecting the Front Audio on my Ausus P5B:

The Case has a Headphone and a microphone connector with the following
cables:

CASE
--------------
MIC-VCC
MIC-IN
GND
EAR L
EAR R
LINE L
LINE R

The Asus P5B can be set to AC'97 or HD Audio. The Connectors look like
this:

ASUS P5B - AC'97
-----------------------------
AGND
MIC2_L
MIC2_R
Line out_L
Line out_R

ASUS P5B - HD Audio
---------------------------------
AGND
MIC2_L
MIC2_R
PRESENSE#
HP_R
MIC2_JD
Jack_Sense
HP_L
HP_HD

I've tried to connect in this way (but there was no function):

CASE ASUS P5B - AC'97
-------------- -----------------------------
MIC-VCC ---> MIC2_L
MIC-IN ---> MIC2_R
GND ---> AGND
EAR L ---> Line out_L
EAR R ---> Line out_R
LINE L
LINE R

Can anyone help me connect this audio? Thanks for your help!

From: Synapse Syndrome on
<Markus22222(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
> I'm in trouble connecting the Front Audio on my Ausus P5B:
>
> The Case has a Headphone and a microphone connector with the following
> cables:
>
> CASE ASUS P5B - AC'97
> -------------- -----------------------------
> MIC-VCC ---> MIC2_L
> MIC-IN ---> MIC2_R
> GND ---> AGND
> EAR L ---> Line out_L
> EAR R ---> Line out_R
> LINE L
> LINE R

I have the same problem with my Thermaltake case, except instead of LINE,
those two connectors are called RETURN.

I guess that the case connections must be AC'97 and not HD Audio, but I hope
the extra connections will allow some of the plug sensing that HD allows.

I hope you (we) get an answer to this.

ss.

From: Paul on
Synapse Syndrome wrote:
> <Markus22222(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
>> I'm in trouble connecting the Front Audio on my Ausus P5B:
>>
>> The Case has a Headphone and a microphone connector with the following
>> cables:
>>
>> CASE ASUS P5B - AC'97
>> -------------- -----------------------------
>> MIC-VCC ---> MIC2_L
>> MIC-IN ---> MIC2_R
>> GND ---> AGND
>> EAR L ---> Line out_L
>> EAR R ---> Line out_R
>> LINE L
>> LINE R
>

> I have the same problem with my Thermaltake case, except instead of
> LINE, those two connectors are called RETURN.
>
> I guess that the case connections must be AC'97 and not HD Audio, but I
> hope the extra connections will allow some of the plug sensing that HD
> allows.
>
> I hope you (we) get an answer to this.
>
> ss.

The wiring is AC'97. So you can use the AC'97 BIOS setting.

In the above table, MIC-IN should go to MIC2_L.
MIC-VCC should go to MIC2_R.

Paul
From: Synapse Syndrome on
"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:em77k7$jag$1(a)aioe.org...
> Synapse Syndrome wrote:
>> <Markus22222(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> I'm in trouble connecting the Front Audio on my Ausus P5B:
>>>
>>> The Case has a Headphone and a microphone connector with the following
>>> cables:
>>>
>>> CASE ASUS P5B - AC'97
>>> -------------- -----------------------------
>>> MIC-VCC ---> MIC2_L
>>> MIC-IN ---> MIC2_R
>>> GND ---> AGND
>>> EAR L ---> Line out_L
>>> EAR R ---> Line out_R
>>> LINE L
>>> LINE R
>>

>> I have the same problem with my Thermaltake case, except instead of LINE,
>> those two connectors are called RETURN.
>>
>> I guess that the case connections must be AC'97 and not HD Audio, but I
>> hope the extra connections will allow some of the plug sensing that HD
>> allows.
>>
>> I hope you (we) get an answer to this.
>>
>> ss.
>
> The wiring is AC'97. So you can use the AC'97 BIOS setting.
>
> In the above table, MIC-IN should go to MIC2_L.
> MIC-VCC should go to MIC2_R.

Hi Paul

I haven't got around to open my case to try that out yet, but what are the
other two wires for then? There are only sockets for earphones and
microphone. Is there no way I can get the computer to automatically
recognise when a mic or headphones have been plugged in?

ss.

From: Barry Watzman on
The audio signal goes from the audio board to the headphone jack, which
is a closed circuit jack, so if a headphone is not plugged in, it comes
back and goes to the line out jacks. Otherwise, if a headphone is
plugged in, the headphone gets the signal, cutting off the speakers. I
suspect that "Ear" is the line carrying the audio signal to the
headphone jack, and "Line" is the line carrying it back from the audio
jack IF a headphone is not plugged in.