From: Ian R on
Hi

I'd be very grateful if someone has any info on the meaning of POST beep
codes for an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.

The manual says "see POST beep code table below" and I thumb through all the
pages until I reach the last page looking for it - its not there!

My ASUS mobo has a very neat feature called "ASUS POST REPORTER" which
features pre recorded wav files to give vocal messages of POST errors.

The only problem with this is that it doesn't seem to work - I hear the beep
code from my case squeaker but there's no audio output from either the line
out or spdif output! So much for that!

I checked the ASUS website and after searching all over it seems they
haven't bothered to make the code table available there either. Thanks ASUS.

I had a faint hope it may have been a printing error that the table was
missing from the printed manual so I downloaded the PDF manual. Its a
duplicate of the printed copy - no surprises there.

So I'd really appreciate any help.

My system isn't booting up properly - I hear the beeps but have no display
so I cant tell yet what's going on.

Thanks for your time and any info.

Ian

From: beenthere on

"Ian R" <sorry(a)nospamthanks.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'd be very grateful if someone has any info on the meaning of POST beep
> codes for an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.

SNIPPED (read the OP)

Beep codes are a product of the BIOS.
When your machine first boots, check the black screen,
(bottom right, for the BIOS manufacturer).
That tells you what BIOS you`ve got.
You need the beep code set for that BIOS.

The BIOS delivers beeps to your on board speaker,
Not your Audio card.
The Audio card is controlled by your Operating system.
HTH.

From: Paul on
In article <zaSdnVf6o5hpOWvZRVnygw(a)bt.com>, "Ian R"
<sorry(a)nospamthanks.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'd be very grateful if someone has any info on the meaning of POST beep
> codes for an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.
>
> The manual says "see POST beep code table below" and I thumb through all the
> pages until I reach the last page looking for it - its not there!
>
> My ASUS mobo has a very neat feature called "ASUS POST REPORTER" which
> features pre recorded wav files to give vocal messages of POST errors.
>
> The only problem with this is that it doesn't seem to work - I hear the beep
> code from my case squeaker but there's no audio output from either the line
> out or spdif output! So much for that!
>
> I checked the ASUS website and after searching all over it seems they
> haven't bothered to make the code table available there either. Thanks ASUS.
>
> I had a faint hope it may have been a printing error that the table was
> missing from the printed manual so I downloaded the PDF manual. Its a
> duplicate of the printed copy - no surprises there.
>
> So I'd really appreciate any help.
>
> My system isn't booting up properly - I hear the beeps but have no display
> so I cant tell yet what's going on.
>
> Thanks for your time and any info.
>
> Ian

There is a BIOS setting called "Speech IC Reporter" and it is
enabled by default in the BIOS. If it was disabled, I don't know if
it is possible to guarantee it would be reenabled after the
CMOS is reset. That would likely require a working processor,
able to complete at least part of the POST sequence, to enable
it again. And in any case, I'm not sure that the disable setting,
could disable an error message indicating the CPU had failed,
as at least a couple of error messages are generated based on
a timer expiring, and there is no (easy) way to disable those
messages from coming out.

The speech chip is hard wired to the Line Out (green) connector
on the back of the computer. If it is going to work, hooking
amplified speakers to the green connector should do it.

The manual is full of the word "Award", so the BIOS appears
to be an Award BIOS.

I have one doc from Award with the following description of
beep codes:

"POST Beep

Currently there are two kinds of beep codes in BIOS. This code
indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot
initialize the video screen to display any additional information.
This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by
two short beeps. The other code indicates that your DRAM
error has occurred. This beep code consists of a single long
beep repeatedly."

If you get a single short beep, a lot of boards give a short beep
during POST, to show that the system speaker works. In cases where
Asus had to hack the BIOS, to avoid the "beep per USB device
connected" feature, they rendered some BIOS files mute, and simply
disabled beeping as a workaround. For that vintage of motherboards,
you might get no beep during a normal POST, but one would hope
that system error beeps would still be enabled.

Paul
From: JAD on

"Ian R" <sorry(a)nospamthanks.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'd be very grateful if someone has any info on the meaning of POST beep
> codes for an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.
>
> The manual says "see POST beep code table below" and I thumb through all
the
> pages until I reach the last page looking for it - its not there!
>
> My ASUS mobo has a very neat feature called "ASUS POST REPORTER" which
> features pre recorded wav files to give vocal messages of POST errors.

You have to have the On Board sound enabled AND the speech reporter turned
on.

> The only problem with this is that it doesn't seem to work - I hear the
beep
> code from my case squeaker but there's no audio output from either the
line
> out or spdif output! So much for that!

What beeps!? sounds like a video problem- reseat the card

> I checked the ASUS website and after searching all over it seems they
> haven't bothered to make the code table available there either. Thanks
ASUS.

you need to check the BIOS website for your board.

> I had a faint hope it may have been a printing error that the table was
> missing from the printed manual so I downloaded the PDF manual. Its a
> duplicate of the printed copy - no surprises there.
>
> So I'd really appreciate any help.
>
> My system isn't booting up properly - I hear the beeps but have no display
> so I cant tell yet what's going on.
>
> Thanks for your time and any info.
>
> Ian

After reseating video(and checking compatability) and removing any extra
memory modules (leaving just one if applicable) disconnect all drives and
try to post.

From: Paul on
In article <nospam-3108060743540001(a)192.168.1.178>, nospam(a)needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <zaSdnVf6o5hpOWvZRVnygw(a)bt.com>, "Ian R"
> <sorry(a)nospamthanks.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd be very grateful if someone has any info on the meaning of POST beep
> > codes for an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.
> >
> > The manual says "see POST beep code table below" and I thumb through
all the
> > pages until I reach the last page looking for it - its not there!
> >
> > My ASUS mobo has a very neat feature called "ASUS POST REPORTER" which
> > features pre recorded wav files to give vocal messages of POST errors.
> >
> > The only problem with this is that it doesn't seem to work - I hear
the beep
> > code from my case squeaker but there's no audio output from either the line
> > out or spdif output! So much for that!
> >
> > I checked the ASUS website and after searching all over it seems they
> > haven't bothered to make the code table available there either. Thanks ASUS.
> >
> > I had a faint hope it may have been a printing error that the table was
> > missing from the printed manual so I downloaded the PDF manual. Its a
> > duplicate of the printed copy - no surprises there.
> >
> > So I'd really appreciate any help.
> >
> > My system isn't booting up properly - I hear the beeps but have no display
> > so I cant tell yet what's going on.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and any info.
> >
> > Ian

Another poster suggested this link, and it has a better list of
beep codes than the one I provided.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Paul