From: Hill on
Can anyone offer any help with my possibly dead AV8 board?

When I first turn the PSU on the POST code display shows a 3, closely
followed by a 0.2.

When I short the PWR terminals, the CPU fan spins up, and the POST code
display shows 8.3, then 9.C, followed by a momentary 9.E and finally a 9.F,
and the CPU fan powers down.

I've tried it on the bench, in a case, with and without drives attached,
memory in this slot, memory in another, you name I think I'll have tried it.
I'm running out of things to fiddle with!

Can anyone decode the codes? None of them are in the helpfully supplied
appendix of POST codes in the manual. (See, I must be desperate - I RTFM!)

Any suggestions appreciated, useful ones even more so.

DroG

From: Bacon_Sarnie on

"Hill" <zen81558(a)zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone offer any help with my possibly dead AV8 board?
>
> When I first turn the PSU on the POST code display shows a 3, closely
> followed by a 0.2.
>
> When I short the PWR terminals, the CPU fan spins up, and the POST code
> display shows 8.3, then 9.C, followed by a momentary 9.E and finally a
> 9.F,
> and the CPU fan powers down.
>
> I've tried it on the bench, in a case, with and without drives attached,
> memory in this slot, memory in another, you name I think I'll have tried
> it.
> I'm running out of things to fiddle with!
>
> Can anyone decode the codes? None of them are in the helpfully supplied
> appendix of POST codes in the manual. (See, I must be desperate - I
> RTFM!)
>
> Any suggestions appreciated, useful ones even more so.
>
> DroG

Would love to say yes I know, but Ive also seen error codes not listed in
the manual, somewhat troubling....

From: straiton on
try posting here maybe,
http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
here's a list of codes i got a while back
Dunno about your prob.Power supply specs?Try another stick of ram?
Good luck
--

SteveH
Abit AV8 Third Eye v1.1, A64 3200+ at 2430(9x270),1.575V CPU

cf - test cmos r/w functionality
co - early chipset initialization:
-disable shadow ram
-disable l2 cache socket 7 and down
-program basic chipset registers
c1 - detect memory
-auto detection of DRAM size , type , ecc
-auto detection of cache(socket 7 and down)
c3 - expand compressed BIOS code to DRAM
c5 - call chipset hook to copy BIOS back to E000 and F000 shadow RAM
01 - expand the Xgroup codes locating in physical address 1000:0
03 - initial Superio_early_Init switch
05 - 1. Blank out screen
2. clear CMOS error flag
07 - 1.clear 8042 interface
2.initialize 8042 self-test
08 - 1.test special keyboard controller for winbond 977 series Super I/O
chips
2.enable keyboard interface
0A - 1.disable ps/2 mouse interface (optional)
2.auto detect ports for keyboard and mouse followed by a port and
interface swap (optional)
3.reset keyboard for winbond 977 series Super I/O chips
0E - test F000h segment shadow to see whether it is R/W-able or not. if test
fails, keep beeping the speaker
10 - auto detect flash type to load appropriate flash R/W codes into the
runtime area in F000 for ESCD & DMI support
12 - Use walking 1's algorithm to check out interface in CMOS circuitry.
Also set realtime clock power status , and then check for override
14 - program chipset default values into chipset. Chipset default values are
MODBINable by OEM customers
16 - initial onboard clock generator if Early_Init_Onboard_Generator is
defined. see also post 26
18 - detect cpu information including brand, SMI type(cyrix or intel) and
cpu level(586 or 686)
1B - initial interrupts vector table. if no special specified, all H/W
interrupts are directed to SPURIOUS_soft_HDLR
1D - initial EARLY_PM_INIT switch
1F - load keyboard matrix (notebook platform)
21 - HPM initialization (notebook platform )
23 - 1.check validity of RTC value
2.load CMOS setting into BIOS stack . if CMOS checksum fails use
default value instead
24 - prepare bios resource map for pci and pnp use.
25 - early pci initialization:
-enumerat pci bus number
-assign memory and I/O resource
-search for a valid vga device and vga bios , and put it into
C000:0
26 - 1.if early INIT_ONBOARD_GENERATOR is not defined onboard clock
generator initialization.Disable respective clock resource to empty pci and
dimm slots
2.init onboard PWM
3.init onboard H/W monitor devices
27 - initialize INT 09 buffer
29 - 1.program cpu internal MTRR(p6 and pII) for 0-640k memory address
2.initialize the APIC for pentium class cpu
3.program early chipset according to cmos setup
4.measure cpu speed
2B - invoke video bios
2D - 1.initialize double-byte language font(optional)
2.put information on screen display, including award title, cpu type ,
cpu speed , full screen logo
33 - reset keyboard if Early_Reset_KB is defined
35 - test DMA channel 0
37 - test DMA channel 1
39 - test DMA page registers
3C - test 8254
3E - test 8259 interrupt masked bits for channel 1
40 - test 8259 interrupt masked bits for channel 2
43 - test 8259 functionality
47 - initialize eisa slot
49 - 1.calculate total memory by testing the last double word of each 64k
page
2.program writes allocation for amd k5 cpu
4E - 1.program MTRR of M1 cpu
2.initialize l2 cache for p6 class cpu & program cpu with proper
cacheable range
3.initialize the APIC for p6 class cpu
4.on mp platform adjust the cacheable range to smaller one in case the
cacheable ranges between the cpus are not identical
50 - initialize USB
52 - test all memory (clear all extended memory to 0)
53 - clear password according to H/W jumper (optional)
55 - display number of processors (multi processor platform)
57 - disply PnP logo
early ISA PnP initialization
- assign CSN to every ISA PNP device
59 - initialize the combined Trend Anti-virus code
5B - (optional feature)show message for entering AWDFLASDH.EXE from FDD
(optional)
5D - 1. initialize Init_onboard_Super_IO
2. initialize Init_Onboard_AUDIO
60 - okay to enter setup utility
63 - reset keyboard if Early_reset_KB is not defined
65 - initialize PS/2 mouse
67 - prepare memory size information for function call :INT 15h ax=E820H
69 - turn on L2 cache
6B - program chipset registers according to items described in setup &
auto-configuration table
6D - 1.assign resources to all PnP devices
2.auto assign ports to onboard COM if the corresponding item in setup
is set to"auto"
6F - 1.initialize floppy controller
2.set up floppy related fields in 40:hardware
75 - detect and install co-processor
76 - (optional feature) enter AWDFLASH.EXE if ;
-AWDFLASH.EXE is found in floppy drive
-ALT+F2 is pressed
77 - detect serial ports & parallel ports
7A - detect and install co-processor
7C - init HDD write protect
7F - switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported
-if error occurs report errors and wait for keys
-if no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue:clear epa or
custimization logog
82 - 1.call chipset powermanagment hooks
2.recover the text font used by EPA logo(not full screen logo)
3.if password is set , ask for password
83 - save all data in stack back to cmos
84 - initialize ISA PnP boot devices
85 - 1.usb final initialization
2.switch screen back to text mode
87 - NET PC:build SYSID structure
89 - 1.assign IRQ's to PCI devices
2.set up ACPI table at top of memory
8B - 1.invoke all ISAadapter ROM's
2.invoke all PCI ROM's except VGA
8D - 1.enable/disable parity check according to CMOS setup
2.APM initialization
8F - clear noise of IRQ's
93 - read HDD boot sector information for Tren Anti-virus code
94 - 1.enable L2 cache
2.program daylight savings time
3.program boot up speed
4.chipset final initialization
5.power management final initialization
6.clear screen and disable summary table
7.program K6 write
From: Hill on