From: DMD on
I am using Windows XP Home Addition With AVG 6.0. I tried installing
the latest version of AVG 7.?? and get the following error message:

"Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Error: Checking of state of the item file avgctrl.dll failed.
File opening failed. %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG
Free\avgctrl.dll"
Permission denied"

I cannot uninstall the AVG 6.0 version from either the control panel or
by AVG's Uninstall (even in Safe Mode). Both the install and uninstall
fail upon reaching the avgctrl.dll file.

Now I have no AVG virus protection.

Can Anyone Help!

Thanks,

DMD

From: Richard in AZ on
Normally, AVG 7 uninstalls version 6 for you.
But if you want to uninstall version 6 your self, be sure to disable it first. If it is running in
the background, it is not going to let you uninstall it because it is in use.

:

From: DMD on
Hi Richard:

Thank you for your response.

I believe all AVG processes have been shut down. However, even if they
weren't, the uninstall should still work for AVG 6.

In addition, I did a search for the "avgctrl.dll" file . It is not on
my computer anywhere (even in hidden files).

Any other suggestions? Please inform me what AVG file processes have
to be disabled, so I can verify that the problem does not reside there.

Thanks,

Dan

From: Richard in AZ on
You only have to disable the active scanning. This is what puts the AVG icon in the system tray.
If you don't have that icon in the system tray, it is shut down.
If that does not work, try deleting the "Grisoft" folder in the "Program Files" folder and then
install AVG 7.

"DMD" <nytwodees(a)aim.com> wrote in message
: Hi Richard:
:
: Thank you for your response.
:
: Richard in AZ wrote:
: > Normally, AVG 7 uninstalls version 6 for you.
: > But if you want to uninstall version 6 your self, be sure to disable it first. If it is running
in
: > the background, it is not going to let you uninstall it because it is in use.
: >
: > "DMD" <nytwodees(a)aim.com> wrote in message
: > news:1143994031.630585.201220(a)g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
: > :I am using Windows XP Home Addition With AVG 6.0. I tried installing
: > : the latest version of AVG 7.?? and get the following error message:
: > :

From: DMD on
Hi Richard:

Thanks for your help.

AVG was not in my system tray so I renamed the "Grisoft" directory to
"GrisoftOld."
This time the installation work without interruption.

Thanks again,

Dan