From: jones on
Would like to burn my AVI files to DVD.

What is the best format so that I can view the films on my computer and also
on the TV screen please?

Thank you for any help
Katherine

From: terryc on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:25:37 +1000, jones wrote:

> Would like to burn my AVI files to DVD.

I use ffmpeg (Linux Debian)

> What is the best format so that I can view the films on my computer and
> also on the TV screen please?

Umm, I've never been able to locate the DVD slot in the TV. What I
usually do is play it on the DVD player and it is a question of what file
formats it will read.

The old LG DVD/VHS player would read only mpg format as will the USB slot
in the set top boxes.
The new LG mini home theatre reads mpg and avi files.
From: SG1 on

"jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Would like to burn my AVI files to DVD.
>
> What is the best format so that I can view the films on my computer and
> also on the TV screen please?
>
> Thank you for any help
> Katherine

How old is your DVD player? The newer ones will play AVI files. And of
course you can watch Avi on the pooter.

From: ^Tems^ on
terryc wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:25:37 +1000, jones wrote:
>
>> Would like to burn my AVI files to DVD.
>
> I use ffmpeg (Linux Debian)
>>
>> What is the best format so that I can view the films on my computer and
>> also on the TV screen please?
>
> Umm, I've never been able to locate the DVD slot in the TV.

Why would she need a DVD slot when she clearly wrote she wants to watch
*films*

From: Fred on

"jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Would like to burn my AVI files to DVD.
>
> What is the best format so that I can view the films on my computer and
> also on the TV screen please?
>
> Thank you for any help
> Katherine

If burning to dvd to be viewed on a dvd player that doesn't have the avi
codecs built in then dvd format might be the best option.
http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.php