From: Paul Furman on
NameHere wrote:

> There's no need to do that when using an EVF and training your eye to see
> the pixel scintillation. Nor is a high-resolution EVF even required. I
> first discovered this ultra-accurate manual focusing method on a 180k pixel
> EVF back in 2002. In fact, a higher resolution EVF might make this
> highly-beneficial effect less detectable to the human eye. If you've not
> tried to detect this effect before it can already be difficult to spot it
> on an EVF screen with only a 180k pixel resolution because the individual
> pixels are so small. You have to train your eye to see it when it happens.
> Once you learn how to see this effect then this ultra-accurate manual
> focusing assist in most any EVF is always there for your benefit. Since the
> whole screen acts as a micro-prism focus-assist you can see exactly what is
> in and out of focus in your whole scene at all times.

Perhaps this is possible in some situations, I've never heard anyone but
you mention it so maybe bionic eyes or something.

If it was a serious technique, it would be implemented in a useful way
that didn't require meditative concentration, like this:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/cam-cam.shtml
"Peaking and Zebras
� Real video cameras provide two aids to assist exposure and focus,
peaking and zebras. ...
Peaking is the ability to set the viewfinder to show areas of
greatest sharpness. On the new JVC HM100, for example, it turns the
viewfinder or LCD to monochrome (which some video shooters prefer to
work in in any event) and then shows edges of greatest sharpness in the
image with a coloured outline, red for instance. Very handy when doing
critical manual focus pulls."

But I never heard of it apart from you and this thread.
From: NameHere on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:20:33 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>NameHere wrote:
>>
>> There's no need to do that when using an EVF and training your eye to see
>> the pixel scintillation. Nor is a high-resolution EVF even required. I
>> first discovered this ultra-accurate manual focusing method on a 180k pixel
>> EVF back in 2002. In fact, a higher resolution EVF might make this
>> highly-beneficial effect less detectable to the human eye. If you've not
>> tried to detect this effect before it can already be difficult to spot it
>> on an EVF screen with only a 180k pixel resolution because the individual
>> pixels are so small. You have to train your eye to see it when it happens.
>> Once you learn how to see this effect then this ultra-accurate manual
>> focusing assist in most any EVF is always there for your benefit. Since the
>> whole screen acts as a micro-prism focus-assist you can see exactly what is
>> in and out of focus in your whole scene at all times.
>
>Perhaps this is possible in some situations, I've never heard anyone but
>you mention it so maybe bionic eyes or something.
>
>If it was a serious technique, it would be implemented in a useful way
>that didn't require meditative concentration, like this:
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/cam-cam.shtml
>"Peaking and Zebras
> � Real video cameras provide two aids to assist exposure and focus,
>peaking and zebras. ...
> Peaking is the ability to set the viewfinder to show areas of
>greatest sharpness. On the new JVC HM100, for example, it turns the
>viewfinder or LCD to monochrome (which some video shooters prefer to
>work in in any event) and then shows edges of greatest sharpness in the
>image with a coloured outline, red for instance. Very handy when doing
>critical manual focus pulls."

What they call peaking on their "new" cameras was first implemented by Sony
in their H-series P&S cameras in the winter of 2005/2006 after I reported
this observable effect to them in the winter of 2003/2004, and how I used
it for full-frame precision manual focusing. (Though I recall an earlier
model of Sony P&S camera that also had this feature, I can't find it at the
moment.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/page3.asp

They only added in the blue highlighting to this pixel scintillation that I
had been seeing all along with my own eyes, to make it more apparent to the
casual photographer who isn't so attentive to details. I often pay
attention what others never notice. I've made many original discoveries
during my life this way.

re: Full FOV zebra exposure-alert modes have been around for a long time on
all number of P&S cameras as far back as I remember. As well as being one
of the very first features to be included in the CHDK program for all
supported P&S cameras for the last 3 years. Fully adjustable for any degree
of sensitivity that you want for shadows or highlights. Including choosing
whatever opaque or transparent colors that you want for either of those
highlighted areas; in 5 flavors of alert modes; in animated zebra stripes
(how it was given its name), flashing, or constant. As well as a 6th
option, full RGB zebra mode that shows you which of any combo of the 3
color channels might be being saturated. E.g., if R & G are both being
saturated then that area of your subject is highlighted in yellow. Again
with fully adjustable sensitivity levels.

These are the kinds of advanced photographer's tools and features that can
be had in any camera with an EVF/LCD viewfinder. Which will also never be
available for any optical-viewfinder.

>But I never heard of it apart from you and this thread.

That's because, just like you, there are nothing but similar idiot
pretend-photographer trolls in these newsgroups with which you converse.
Those who have never held any real cameras nor learned how to use them to
the greatest effect, even if they have ever held one in their lives. Those
with the observation skills of a blind cave-fish. How do you think I know
who they are and how I spot them so easily? Just as I first spotted your
lame attempts at trying to know anything about cameras and photography.
Your ineptness is just as blatantly obvious to any real photographer. The
funniest part is, you all think you're getting away with acting as if you
know anything at all about cameras and photography. That's what makes these
newsgroups so fun to read by any real photographer. A good laugh contained
in nearly ever post that you fools make.