From: RichA on
Some examples:
D3x - Too expensive
A805/900 - Too much noise.
D3s/700 - Not enough resolution for the cost
D300s - Sensor out of date compared to competition
D90 - Close to the perfect DSLR (when everything is considered) but no
weatherproofing at all, plastic body.
7D - Canon's lame weatherproofing, no good wide angle lenses, or none
that are comparable with the competition.
1D's (any of them) - Too many problems for their cost.
5DMkII - Mediocre for video (IF this matters to anyone), questionable
build quality for the price.
Panasonic micro 4/3rds - No pro/semipro bodies, too much noise, too
expensive
Olympus 4/3rds - Outdated, lame sensors, lagging behind the micro
4/3rds units. Each release is a slap-dash updating of the previous,
no new pro camera in ages.
Pentax K's- Noisy sensors, lousy AF.
A300's/500's - Sony efforts that coat-tail on the big two, with less
success.

Entry level DSLRs - Poor control features, crappy builds, crummy
ergonomics, poor viewfinders (most of them) poor compatibility with
legacy stuff.

So, the perfect DSLR isn't here. But it COULD be. How?
- 5DMkII resolution, FF.
- Body quality (notice I didn't say size?) of a D700.
- Shutter rate of a D300s. Reliability rating of the D3 shutter.
- Size of a D90 with a grip.
- Noise control of a D3s/700.
- Weight of a 7D. Greater weight allowance versus size for a METAL,
weather sealed body.
- Video of the Panasonic GH1
- Nikon's pro AF system
- Sony or Panasonic's Live View.
- Highest quality optical viewfinder, for now.

All that, for about $2500 would be IMO, the ideal all-round DSLR.

From: Ray Fischer on

I suppose that this explains why Rich doesn't actually take any pictures.
He can't find a worthy camera.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Dave Cohen on
On 1/25/2010 3:53 AM, RichA wrote:
> Some examples:
> D3x - Too expensive
> A805/900 - Too much noise.
> D3s/700 - Not enough resolution for the cost
> D300s - Sensor out of date compared to competition
> D90 - Close to the perfect DSLR (when everything is considered) but no
> weatherproofing at all, plastic body.
> 7D - Canon's lame weatherproofing, no good wide angle lenses, or none
> that are comparable with the competition.
> 1D's (any of them) - Too many problems for their cost.
> 5DMkII - Mediocre for video (IF this matters to anyone), questionable
> build quality for the price.
> Panasonic micro 4/3rds - No pro/semipro bodies, too much noise, too
> expensive
> Olympus 4/3rds - Outdated, lame sensors, lagging behind the micro
> 4/3rds units. Each release is a slap-dash updating of the previous,
> no new pro camera in ages.
> Pentax K's- Noisy sensors, lousy AF.
> A300's/500's - Sony efforts that coat-tail on the big two, with less
> success.
>
> Entry level DSLRs - Poor control features, crappy builds, crummy
> ergonomics, poor viewfinders (most of them) poor compatibility with
> legacy stuff.
>
> So, the perfect DSLR isn't here. But it COULD be. How?
> - 5DMkII resolution, FF.
> - Body quality (notice I didn't say size?) of a D700.
> - Shutter rate of a D300s. Reliability rating of the D3 shutter.
> - Size of a D90 with a grip.
> - Noise control of a D3s/700.
> - Weight of a 7D. Greater weight allowance versus size for a METAL,
> weather sealed body.
> - Video of the Panasonic GH1
> - Nikon's pro AF system
> - Sony or Panasonic's Live View.
> - Highest quality optical viewfinder, for now.
>
> All that, for about $2500 would be IMO, the ideal all-round DSLR.

Sort of a self evident statement, like nobody can beat RICHA or RICH
(are they the same) for useless posts.
From: John A. on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:53:22 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Some examples:
>D3x - Too expensive
>A805/900 - Too much noise.
>D3s/700 - Not enough resolution for the cost
>D300s - Sensor out of date compared to competition
>D90 - Close to the perfect DSLR (when everything is considered) but no
>weatherproofing at all, plastic body.
>7D - Canon's lame weatherproofing, no good wide angle lenses, or none
>that are comparable with the competition.
>1D's (any of them) - Too many problems for their cost.
>5DMkII - Mediocre for video (IF this matters to anyone), questionable
>build quality for the price.
>Panasonic micro 4/3rds - No pro/semipro bodies, too much noise, too
>expensive
>Olympus 4/3rds - Outdated, lame sensors, lagging behind the micro
>4/3rds units. Each release is a slap-dash updating of the previous,
>no new pro camera in ages.
>Pentax K's- Noisy sensors, lousy AF.
>A300's/500's - Sony efforts that coat-tail on the big two, with less
>success.
>
>Entry level DSLRs - Poor control features, crappy builds, crummy
>ergonomics, poor viewfinders (most of them) poor compatibility with
>legacy stuff.
>
>So, the perfect DSLR isn't here. But it COULD be. How?
>- 5DMkII resolution, FF.
>- Body quality (notice I didn't say size?) of a D700.
>- Shutter rate of a D300s. Reliability rating of the D3 shutter.
>- Size of a D90 with a grip.
>- Noise control of a D3s/700.
>- Weight of a 7D. Greater weight allowance versus size for a METAL,
>weather sealed body.
>- Video of the Panasonic GH1
>- Nikon's pro AF system
>- Sony or Panasonic's Live View.
>- Highest quality optical viewfinder, for now.
>
>All that, for about $2500 would be IMO, the ideal all-round DSLR.

Whose control layout? Or would it have moveable components DX1-style?
From: DanP on
On Jan 25, 7:58 pm, John A. <j...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:53:22 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Some examples:
> >D3x - Too expensive
> >A805/900 - Too much noise.
> >D3s/700 - Not enough resolution for the cost
> >D300s - Sensor out of date compared to competition
> >D90 - Close to the perfect DSLR (when everything is considered) but no
> >weatherproofing at all, plastic body.
> >7D - Canon's lame weatherproofing, no good wide angle lenses, or none
> >that are comparable with the competition.
> >1D's (any of them) - Too many problems for their cost.
> >5DMkII - Mediocre for video (IF this matters to anyone), questionable
> >build quality for the price.
> >Panasonic micro 4/3rds - No pro/semipro bodies, too much noise, too
> >expensive
> >Olympus 4/3rds - Outdated, lame sensors, lagging behind the micro
> >4/3rds units.  Each release is a slap-dash updating of the previous,
> >no new pro camera in ages.
> >Pentax K's- Noisy sensors, lousy AF.
> >A300's/500's - Sony efforts that coat-tail on the big two, with less
> >success.
>
> >Entry level DSLRs - Poor control features, crappy builds, crummy
> >ergonomics, poor viewfinders (most of them) poor compatibility with
> >legacy stuff.
>
> >So, the perfect DSLR isn't here.  But it COULD be.  How?
> >-  5DMkII resolution, FF.
> >-  Body quality (notice I didn't say size?) of a D700.
> >-  Shutter rate of a D300s.  Reliability rating of the D3 shutter.
> >-  Size of a D90 with a grip.
> >-  Noise control of a D3s/700.
> >-  Weight of a 7D.  Greater weight allowance versus size for a METAL,
> >weather sealed body.
> >-  Video of the Panasonic GH1
> >-  Nikon's pro AF system
> >- Sony or Panasonic's Live View.
> >- Highest quality optical viewfinder, for now.
>
> >All that, for about $2500 would be IMO, the ideal all-round DSLR.
>
> Whose control layout? Or would it have moveable components DX1-style?

Forget it, it ain't gonna happen. Just buy an existing camera for
$2500.