From: Raymond on
My last attempt...
I removed the disk from the PC and installed it on another computer, then, I
started RegEdit and loaded the Software hive.
I checked \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and the Run and RunOnce key,
nothing special in there.
I guess I missed it.

Maybe another/better idea ?

Raymond

"Raymond" <Square.Peg(a)round.hole> a �crit dans le message de news:
4aed68ef$0$1007$ba4acef3(a)news.orange.fr...

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/710154.htm

From: Warichet on

Hi John,

Thank you for the tip :-)

Indeed, the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\SystemSetupInProgr
had a value of 1

I loaded the system hive from another computer, changed the value to 0
Unloaded the hive (the file time stamp reflected the change, so I guess
the operation succeeeded).
Put the disk back in place and rebooted
No luck
Either my registry procedure is wrong, maybe no actual write happens to
the hive or "someone" puts the value back to 1.
Any idea ?

Thanks again
Raymond

From: Warichet on

Hi,

I've found several keys which could possibly affect this loop
behaviour.
But after having reset them to 0, at next reboot I still get the
"setup is being restarted...."

So there must be a master process which triggers the whole scenario,
any idea ? Also to be noted, this behaviour arised after having executed
the XP repair procedure. Any clue ?

Thanks

Raymond