From: LarryM on
Some thoughts about displaying photos on the web:

With todays high resolution screens you may have to zoom the
browser to say 150% to get the site to fill up your screen.
Is there any way that you could preserve the sharpness in an
image even if it is being enlarged?

You could imagine that it could have a higher resolution
"embedded" that was put into effect at enlargements?
Meaning that in zoom 100% the image would be sampled down to
that size (72 ppi?).

Hm, formulated in another way:
Could you force an image to be displayed at a fixed relative
size (for instance 50% of the display window or of the table
width) independent of the ppi value?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

From: Your Name on

"LarryM" <NotInUse(a)telia.com> wrote in message
> Some thoughts about displaying photos on the web:
>
> With todays high resolution screens you may have to zoom the
> browser to say 150% to get the site to fill up your screen.
> Is there any way that you could preserve the sharpness in an
> image even if it is being enlarged?
>
> You could imagine that it could have a higher resolution
> "embedded" that was put into effect at enlargements?
> Meaning that in zoom 100% the image would be sampled down to
> that size (72 ppi?).
>
> Hm, formulated in another way:
> Could you force an image to be displayed at a fixed relative
> size (for instance 50% of the display window or of the table
> width) independent of the ppi value?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

Technically you can use a larger image and scale it down within the webpage
.... but don't! It's a annoyance for users on dial-up or data-capped /
charged plans to have to waste time and data downloading extra information
they won't see.

You'll see this a lot on novice websites where they put a massive image
straight from their digital camera on the website and then scale it down on
the webpage, or lazy web developers who use a webpage-scaled version of the
big image as a clickable "thumbnail".

Helpfull Harry :o)

From: LarryM on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:47:38 +1200, "Your Name"
<your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

>>"LarryM" <NotInUse(a)telia.com> wrote in message
>> Some thoughts about displaying photos on the web:
>>
>> With todays high resolution screens you may have to zoom the
>> browser to say 150% to get the site to fill up your screen.
>> Is there any way that you could preserve the sharpness in an
>> image even if it is being enlarged?
>>
>> You could imagine that it could have a higher resolution
>> "embedded" that was put into effect at enlargements?
>> Meaning that in zoom 100% the image would be sampled down to
>> that size (72 ppi?).
>>
>> Hm, formulated in another way:
>> Could you force an image to be displayed at a fixed relative
>> size (for instance 50% of the display window or of the table
>> width) independent of the ppi value?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Larry
>
>Technically you can use a larger image and scale it down within the webpage
>... but don't! It's a annoyance for users on dial-up or data-capped /
>charged plans to have to waste time and data downloading extra information
>they won't see.
>
>You'll see this a lot on novice websites where they put a massive image
>straight from their digital camera on the website and then scale it down on
>the webpage, or lazy web developers who use a webpage-scaled version of the
>big image as a clickable "thumbnail".
>
>Helpfull Harry :o)

Thanks Harry,
I understand your concern.

I am a photographer.
My web visitors most likely uses broadband and I don't plan
on putting in megalarge images.
My visitors also are likely to have high resolutons screens
and are likely to see the web browser using some zooming in,
say to 150%.
When doing this zooming the images get a little bit blurry
which is a pity.

I am looking for a way to preserve sharpness even if the
image is somewhat zoomed in.
My little test with Photoshop made images which then are put
into a Dreamweaver built web page seem to fail.
The images are displayed in 72 ppi mode, the 144 ppi is just
double as large as the 72 ppi image (same size in inches).

You don't happen to know how I could preserve sharpness when
zooming in images? Even if you basically don't like the
idea...?

Maybe you could say that this is also about how to design a
website for a certain (normal to low) resolution but which
also can stand a zooming in without loosing the (image)
quality.
Is it possible?

/Larry

From: Duncan Kennedy on
LarryM <NotInUse(a)telia.com> wrote:

> I am a photographer.
> My web visitors most likely uses broadband and I don't plan
> on putting in megalarge images.
> My visitors also are likely to have high resolutons screens
> and are likely to see the web browser using some zooming in,
> say to 150%.
> When doing this zooming the images get a little bit blurry
> which is a pity.

Is it absolutely essential to use zoom? The normal method would be to
have a standard, smallish photo as a link with a "click to download full
resolution version" and possiby the file size for information. Link
one to the other, open in a second window, and the job's done. You
could even do it with thumbnails offering 2 sizes for download but, in
your case, you might want something bigger for the first viewing.

This gets round the problem people may have in some areas - yes, in big
towns and cities too, of extremely slow broadband.

--
duncank
From: LarryM on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:59:48 +0100,
nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk (Duncan Kennedy) wrote:

>Is it absolutely essential to use zoom?

Hi Duncan,

let us for the discussion say that the visitor uses zoom to
150%.
ANd let us say that downloading time is no issue.

The technical question is: Could an image which in 72 ppi is
10 inches wide be displayed with a width of 5 inches on a
web page?

/Larry