From: yojo on
hi there, I am new to web design and just finished my first site. I
have uploaded it to my host FTP site and there are multiple things
displaying incorrectly in Firefox that did not show up when previewing
the site in Firefox from Dreamweaver before.

Here's the link:
www.yojodesign.co.uk

Main problem is - none of the images are showing up
Other things - the font of the contact details in top right is wrong
The layout is pretty messed up - bit hopefully this will fix when the
images show up...

any ideas please help!
Many thanks, Jo
From: Duncan Kennedy on
yojo <yojojo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> hi there, I am new to web design and just finished my first site. I
> have uploaded it to my host FTP site and there are multiple things
> displaying incorrectly in Firefox that did not show up when previewing
> the site in Firefox from Dreamweaver before.
>
> Here's the link:
> www.yojodesign.co.uk
>
> Main problem is - none of the images are showing up

Hi Jo

First thing to do is look at your on-line folder setup and compare it to
the one on your computer. My guess is that the names of the files are
different in precise detail on line to the computer ones. If you are
using a Linux / UNIX server case must be exact.

I see you're using PNG files for some - these are not always readily
handled by all browsers - although they should be OK in Firefox.

Come to think of it, make sure you did upload your images folder and
contents - and that it is the same relationship to your HTML pages as
the computer site. - I can see ../images........... suggesting you are
telling the page to look in a folder called images on level *up from
your HTML pages.

Later versions of Dreamweaver tend to write a separate JavaScrip file -
that should be on line too - and in the right level.

Again at first glance, I haven't picked up where the JavaScript is
calling the files but I could easily have moissed that - will have a
look tomorrow.

> Other things - the font of the contact details in top right is wrong

At a quick glance I can't see what font it should be - you have a great
deal of CSS information embedded in the page (I tend to use separate CSS
file for that as it makes the page a little more easy to read)

I suspect -and it is only suspicion - that you have some CSS rules
within other rules and one is over-writing the other - but I can't
identify easily just what is going on.

> The layout is pretty messed up - bit hopefully this will fix when the
> images show up...

That will be a start.

In fact it is only a start - keep with it, come back here with updates
and I'm sure there are others who will jump in too.

--
duncank
From: yojo on
Thanks for the reply Duncan, just writing to let you know I resolved
the problem- with your help and also checking some more tutorial
sites. so here's how I did it:

When I connected to the remote server for the first time I left the
host directory info in Dreamweaver blank. What I then didn't realise
is that I had to create a new directory on the remote server to drop
my site into. I did this by control-clicking in the window (mac) and
adding a new folder, giving it the same name as my site. I then went
into my host server's (1and1.co.uk) admin section and specified this
folder as my home directory, also went back into Manage sites in
Dreamweaver and specified this new folder as my host directory, re-
uploaded my files and hey presto it works perfectly. Now that the site
is linking in to the right CSS style sheets all the fonts, layout &
images etc are working as I want them to. Here's the site:

http://www.yojodesign.co.uk

I understand that not all FTP servers work in exactly the same way but
this certainly fixed everything for me, so hopefully this info can
help someone else out who is struggling with the same problem!

Jo

From: Duncan Kennedy on
yojo <yojojo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Duncan, just writing to let you know I resolved
> the problem- with your help and also checking some more tutorial
> sites. so here's how I did it:

Glad you got it fixed.

> Here's the site:
>
> http://www.yojodesign.co.uk

Now that does look a lot better :-)

Nice site

> I understand that not all FTP servers work in exactly the same way but
> this certainly fixed everything for me, so hopefully this info can
> help someone else out who is struggling with the same problem!

I have to admit I don't use Dreamweaver to send things to the web server
- I've always used a separate FTP application, which gives you mre
freedom to sort out what is on the server. Filezilla is free, easy to
use once you have the sort of information yrou now have and has versions
for PC and Mac.

Anyway good of you to cover what you did to put it right as I'm sure it
will help others.

--
duncank