From: larry moe 'n curly on

Paul wrote:

> larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>
> > Rule of thumb: really wierd voltage readings have to be wrong because
> > if they were accurate, the computer wouldn't be able to run well
> > enough to do anything, including run PC Wizard. Hard drives need +5V
> > within about 5-10% of that value, and desktop HDs also need +12V
> > within the same tolerance.
>
> In some cases, you can get different values displayed on the computer,
> by using Asus Probe, MBM5 (for older computers), Speedfan from almico.com
> and so on. So an alternative to grabbing the multimeter, is to try some
> other programs to do the readout. It's possible even a Linux LiveCD,
> will have some utilities available for reading the hardware monitor.
> Some other utility may give better values.

I've usually been able to find at least one monitoring program that
gives fairly accurate readings, but I once had an ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8
mobo that didn't work with anything. SpeedFan said the +12V rail
alternated between 6V and 8V, 1-2 times a second, while MBMx read a
steady 10.62V, which I had earlier confirmed wouldn't let the very
same hard drive spin. A multimeter read 12.11V.
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:57:22 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>In some cases, you can get different values displayed on the computer,
>by using Asus Probe, MBM5 (for older computers)...

I like MBM5 because you can edit a configuration file to tune the
scale factors to your particular motherboard. It also allows you to
use your own names for voltages, fans, and temperatures, plus many
other settings.

Do any of the current hardware monitor programs have such features?

- Franc Zabkar
From: Paul on
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:57:22 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>> In some cases, you can get different values displayed on the computer,
>> by using Asus Probe, MBM5 (for older computers)...
>
> I like MBM5 because you can edit a configuration file to tune the
> scale factors to your particular motherboard. It also allows you to
> use your own names for voltages, fans, and temperatures, plus many
> other settings.
>
> Do any of the current hardware monitor programs have such features?
>
> - Franc Zabkar

My approach is, if the reading isn't right, ignore it :-)

I've always got the multimeter, if it's important to verify something.

Paul
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ADSL / ADSL