From: tkosel on
I have a Access 2003 MDE file that links to an Access 2003 MDB file. I
understood that Access 2007 is not able to work with an MDE file. This is
according to Microsoft KB article:

However, unbenknownst to me, one of my customers somehow installed Access
2007 on a machine and ran the MDE file with it. I saw it with my own eyes!
The application had been working fine for years, but now all the sudden they
claim it is "losing" data.

First, how come it can even run the MDE file? Second, could the Fact that
it is running the MDE file cause data corruption/loss?

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:02:01 -0700, tkosel
<tkosel(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Interesting how people can interpret an article. I am quoting the
FIRST sentence:
With Microsoft Office Access 2007, you can open and use databases
created in Microsoft Access 2000, Access 2002, and Access 2003.

Do you have a similar quote from this article, supporting your
assertion?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: GBA on
07 works w/ MDE; I think you are misinterpreting that article when it refers
to 'converting' to .accdb

As for losing data; there is generally only 2 causes:
a. during the write, the form closes while in dirty state - so the data
doesn't stick
b. a cross reference between tables (primary/foreign key) is being lost/not
entered/altered - thereby orphaning records in a child table giving the
impression that data is lost (which essentially it is).

But neither condition develops over time - it may or may not be a factor of
opening a db with 07 ....

From: Jerry Whittle on
I'll add a few more reasons for missing data.

3. As tkosel said, the customer 'claims' that the data is missing. Always
take such claims with a grain of salt.

4. Records can be lost if the database gets corrupt. If you manually do a
compact and repair, Access will warn you about this. However, if you do a
Compact on Close, you won't see such a message. I always recommend removing
the Compact on Close option.

5. Strange things such a doing a backup from a tape drive and overwriting
the database files with something a few days old or remapping a network drive
letter to some older data.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: tkosel on
Tom and Others,

Sorry about the multiple postings, but I didn't see my original post until
at least 3 hours after it was made. I will be more patient in the future. I
do have a quote, perhaps I don't understand the language correctly.

Relevant section below.

MDE file limitations

MDE files are MDB files that have VBA source code compiled into computer
code and VBA source code removed. Office Access 2007 cannot convert or enable
an MDE file. To upgrade an MDE file, you must find the original MDB file and
convert that file.

I understood "enable" to mean that you could not run it with 2007. As it
appears you can run mde files with 2007, what does the word enable mean in
this context? Thanks.