From: Director of Exhibits Director of on
In my museum operations database, I have 190 exhibits, in 27 galleries, at 2
locations. I would like help in setting up a form so that I can select an
exhibit by starting at lthe ocation, then going to galleries, then exhibits.
For example instead of scrollling through a list of 190 possible exhibits, I
would like to select location A, then when I tab over to galleries, only
galleries in location A are possible in a pull down list, then if I select
gallery 5, then only the 12 exhibits in gallery 5 are possible in a pull down
list.
IS this possilbe in Access? How is this hierachy done?

Thank you.
From: Alex on
Yes, it is possible.
Examle is included

Alex
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Director of Exhibits" <Director of Exhibits(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:DFE964BE-905A-40DC-A8D5-ADD24D0D9E92(a)microsoft.com...
> In my museum operations database, I have 190 exhibits, in 27 galleries, at
> 2
> locations. I would like help in setting up a form so that I can select an
> exhibit by starting at lthe ocation, then going to galleries, then
> exhibits.
> For example instead of scrollling through a list of 190 possible exhibits,
> would like to select location A, then when I tab over to galleries, only
> galleries in location A are possible in a pull down list, then if I select
> gallery 5, then only the 12 exhibits in gallery 5 are possible in a pull
> down
> list.
> IS this possilbe in Access? How is this hierachy done?

Of course it's possible. It's usually called "cascading combo boxes" (or
list boxes). The page below shows two different ways to achieve it:

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm
Forms: Limit content of combo/list boxes

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: magick on
yes - this probably is not the only way, and not sure how you have your
form(s) set up, but i have set up a series of combo boxes. after you select
the first level (i.e. location), the next level (i.e. galleries) is based on
a query that is filtered by the object that the user has selected in the
first combo box. The exhibits combo box query would be filtered on what the
user selects from the galleries combo box. the syntax in your query's filter
to refer to the previous combo box is as follows:

[forms]![NameofForm]![NameofPreviousComboBox]

you should also set each combo box to "requery" in the On Got Focus property
so that it will rerun and pick up the most recently selected choice each time.

"Director of Exhibits" wrote:

> In my museum operations database, I have 190 exhibits, in 27 galleries, at 2
> locations. I would like help in setting up a form so that I can select an
> exhibit by starting at lthe ocation, then going to galleries, then exhibits.
> For example instead of scrollling through a list of 190 possible exhibits, I
> would like to select location A, then when I tab over to galleries, only
> galleries in location A are possible in a pull down list, then if I select
> gallery 5, then only the 12 exhibits in gallery 5 are possible in a pull down
> list.
> IS this possilbe in Access? How is this hierachy done?
>
> Thank you.

Pages: 1
Prev: Access and Outlook Reminders
Next: mde