From: Paul H on
I read an article in PC Pro that states that SQL view has been removed
from queries in Access 2010! Surely this can't be true? I frequently
copy and paste SQL form the query builder to the VBA project. This
would kill Access as a platform for developers, wouldn't it?

Paul

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 06:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Paul H
<comcraft1966(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

It is true for web databases only.
Debug.Print CurrentDB.Querydefs("myQuery").SQL still produces the sql
statement.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Paul H" <comcraft1966(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> I read an article in PC Pro that states that SQL view has been removed
> from queries in Access 2010! Surely this can't be true? I frequently
> copy and paste SQL form the query builder to the VBA project. This
> would kill Access as a platform for developers, wouldn't it?
>
> Paul

There's been absolutely no change in this regards it all, and the query
builder works as it always did. SQL is still available as it's always been.

What they're referring to is when you're building a query for a WEB
application, then you are limited to the design (grid) view. This limitation
has absolutely nothing to do when you're building a traditional client based
application in Access.

And furthermore keep in mind that even after you've published your website,
if you're going to have any client objects created in your application, then
the client query objects STILL allow the SQL view just like it's always done
in the past. And note that like since 2003 you can build SQL queries with
sql view based on a linked table to SharePoint (or in this case the
SharePoint web site you built using ms-access).

In a nutshell the restriction only exists for WEB queries, or what we would
call a non client object.

However, do you have a link to the article, I would not mind reading it
myself.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> However, do you have a link to the article, I would not mind reading it
> myself.

Ah, found it here:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/358558/microsoft-access-2010

From: Banana on
On 6/15/10 9:05 AM, Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> Ah, found it here:
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/358558/microsoft-access-2010

I can see why it can be misleading. A quick reading seems to imply it's
a change for Access 2010, rather than the web database.

"Database objects, meanwhile (forms, queries and the like), exist in two
flavours: as client objects or as web objects, with many client features
not supported by the other web equivalent. With no SQL view of queries,
either, converting an existing Access database is likely to take a lot
of work."

1) Converting is not even an option if we're talking about taking
objects from existing databases and putting it into a web database. Web
objects must be built from scratch. Now, we certainly can put in old
objects in web database but they're still client objects and thus not
available in a web browser, only when one opens the Access as we always did.

2) It really should say "With no SQL view for web queries...", the
problem with conversion notwithstanding.

It also mentions that FileMaker has had table-level triggers. I don't
remember that. Did anyone hear of that? I wonder if the author is
confusing it with script triggers which as far as I can tell is just
basically counterpart to Access' object events....

I think it goes back to the old adage: "Don't believe everything you read."