From: jbguernsey on
Hi all.

I run A2010 on a separate PC which has Windows (XP) automatic updates
switched on. A couple of days ago I had a telephone call (number
witheld) from a guy with an Indian accent saying he was from Microsoft
and enquiring whether my PC was playing up. Now, I don't respond to
this kind of call (for obvoius reasons) and hung up. Today, however
(with no new software installed), I found that A2010 was playing up.
I could not open any reports in design view either from existing
databases or from a new database I created. I uninstalled office 2010
and reinstalled but still had the problems with reports. Maybe it's a
Windows Update that's caused the problem. Anyone come across anything
similar?

I've had to go back to Office 2007 (which seems to work OK) for the
time being. I REALLY don't want to have to wipe my machine and
rebuild, too much to do at present.

Thanks in hope rather than expectation!

JB
From: BrianDP on
On Aug 11, 11:36 am, jbguernsey <j...(a)angelsystems.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I run A2010 on a separate PC which has Windows (XP) automatic updates
> switched on.  A couple of days ago I had a telephone call (number
> witheld) from a guy with an Indian accent saying he was from Microsoft
> and enquiring whether my PC was playing up.  Now, I don't respond to
> this kind of call (for obvoius reasons) and hung up.  Today, however
> (with no new software installed), I found that A2010 was playing up.
> I could not open any reports in design view either from existing
> databases or from a new database I created.  I uninstalled office 2010
> and reinstalled but still had the problems with reports.  Maybe it's a
> Windows Update that's caused the problem.  Anyone come across anything
> similar?
>
> I've had to go back to Office 2007 (which seems to work OK) for the
> time being.  I REALLY don't want to have to wipe my machine and
> rebuild, too much to do at present.
>
> Thanks in hope rather than expectation!
>
> JB

I'm having problems with databases that were designed for Access 2007
and Lower, but when I try to run them under 2010, they lock up.. The
screeen turns white, and it errors out. Particularly bad for the
people who run the Runtime version.

Not only that, but SQL as a backend is giving me all the problems that
go along with upsizing your backend to SQL!

-BrianDP
From: Albert D. Kallal on

I'm not seeing any particular new behaviors or changes with my copy of
access 2010, and especially no changes in regards to reports running.

As for Microsoft phoning you up and asking you if everything's OK and having
a wonderful little talking chat with you to make sure you are feeling good
and are a happy person? Well, I don't even think the automobile companies or
Coca-Cola does that, let alone Microsoft.

I can only surmise that it was some type of phone call that a pang discover
that you're having problems with your computer, for a fee the person on the
other and would be willing to fix your computer.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Albert D. Kallal on

"BrianDP" <bdp222(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm having problems with databases that were designed for Access 2007
> and Lower, but when I try to run them under 2010, they lock up.. The
> screeen turns white, and it errors out. Particularly bad for the
> people who run the Runtime version.

I would consider trying to create a blank new access database, and then
importing everything else from the older version, and see if that helps.

I haven't really noticed any real drop in terms of stability for access
2010, and in fact I find a2010 loads quite a bit faster than access 2007
(perhaps this is to due to a fresh OS install of windows 7). To be fair and
honest, I really did not use access 2007 very much at all.

I am finding that the office 2010 applications load noticeably faster than
2007. Remember 2007 was the first version with ribbon etc, so there was
quite lot of new things and code that now been tweaked and improved quite a
bit for office 2010.

From: David W. Fenton on
BrianDP <bdp222(a)gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> I'm having problems with databases that were designed for Access
> 2007 and Lower, but when I try to run them under 2010, they lock
> up.. The screeen turns white, and it errors out. Particularly bad
> for the people who run the Runtime version.
>
> Not only that, but SQL as a backend is giving me all the problems
> that go along with upsizing your backend to SQL!

64-bit or 32-bit Access? Microsoft recommends using only 32-bit.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/