From: Ringo on
Hi All,

A friend of mine has a Windows XP Pro laptop that she has been using
for over 4 years. The problem is, the laptop was originally joined
a domain (not workgroup), thus she had been logging into her laptop
as
it if were connected to a Domain Server, even though she uses it as
independent laptop (not connected to the server).

Long story short, I had to do maintenance on the laptop, and ended up
disjoining the laptop from the domain and making it part of a
Workgroup called "Workgroup". I logged into the laptop as a local
admin, and went to the Documents and Settings folder and found her
Server User Profile. I am able to view/access/copy all her
files...however,
when I go to open any files (word docs, pictures, pdfs, etc), I get
an
"Access denied" message.

Ive checked Permission rights, have taken ownership of the files, but
still cannot seem to access the files. I even copied the files to a
USB drive and tried opening up the files on another laptop...I still
get an access denied message.

Does anyone know of the workaround to fix this issue? FYI, she left
the company with the server 4 years ago, so we do not have access to
the original server in case we need to rejoin the laptop to the
domain.

Ok, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ringo
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Ringo" <ringoenglewood(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> A friend of mine has a Windows XP Pro laptop that she has been using
> for over 4 years. The problem is, the laptop was originally joined
> a domain (not workgroup), thus she had been logging into her laptop
> as
> it if were connected to a Domain Server, even though she uses it as
> independent laptop (not connected to the server).
>

> Long story short, I had to do maintenance on the laptop, and ended up
> disjoining the laptop from the domain and making it part of a
> Workgroup called "Workgroup". I logged into the laptop as a local
> admin, and went to the Documents and Settings folder and found her
> Server User Profile. I am able to view/access/copy all her
> files...however,
> when I go to open any files (word docs, pictures, pdfs, etc), I get
> an
> "Access denied" message.
>

> Ive checked Permission rights, have taken ownership of the files, but
> still cannot seem to access the files. I even copied the files to a
> USB drive and tried opening up the files on another laptop...I still
> get an access denied message.
>

> Does anyone know of the workaround to fix this issue? FYI, she left
> the company with the server 4 years ago, so we do not have access to
> the original server in case we need to rejoin the laptop to the
> domain.
>

> Ok, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>

> Ringo

The files might be encrypted. Right-clicking them, then clicking Properties,
then Advanced would tell you.