From: Jack on
Dear all,

I am really stumbled.

I am trying to consolidate 3 old computers (SBS, Win7 and XP) into a
new PC, then dump the old ones. This will save space and reduce heat.
Win7 will be my main working computer for daily use. XP will be for
software testing.

I have installed "Hyper-V Server 2008 R2" (not R2 role) and PSHyper-V
scripts (http://pshyperv.codeplex.com) on the new PC successfully.
And, I am able to use "New-VM" to create a VM and "Get-VMSummary" to
review a VM settings. However, I can never use "New-VMConnectSession"
to connect to a VM, I always get errors.

Am I missing something? Is my plan feasible? I feel I am doing
something impossible but cannot figure out where the problem is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jack

From: nzregs on
the hyper-v server has no GUI so you cant connect to a session on it. you will need to install RSAT tools on windows 7/vista and connect from there.

if you are trying to consolidate those three computers into one, then your best best is probably to install SBS and add the hyper-v role to it.

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi:

What can be done in a small home use environment, and what should be done
in a production server with many clients depending upon the system are not
necessarily the same.

SBS should not be the base install. While this will (probably) work, it
is not supported. Windows Server 2008, either the one included with SBS
Premium, or a stand alone copy, should be the base/parent. Once you have
that, add Hyper-V and no other roles, then install other OSs as VM/children
as many as you like until you run out of RAM or other resources.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: Jack on
On Jul 13, 4:31 am, Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] <lstruckme...(a)mis-
wizards.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> What can be done in a small home use environment, and what should be done
>  in a production server with many clients depending upon the system are not
> necessarily the same.
>
> SBS should not be the base install.  While this will (probably) work, it
> is not supported.  Windows Server 2008, either the one included with SBS
> Premium, or a stand alone copy, should be the base/parent.  Once you have
> that, add Hyper-V and no other roles, then install other OSs as VM/children
> as many as you like until you run out of RAM or other resources.
>
> -Larry
>
> -Please post the resolution to your issue  so others may benefit.
>
> -Get Your SBS Health Check atwww.sbsbpa.com
>
> > the hyper-v server has no GUI so you cant connect to a session on it.
> > you will need to install RSAT tools on windows 7/vista and connect
> > from there.
>
> > if you are trying to consolidate those three computers into one, then
> > your best best is probably to install SBS and add the hyper-v role to
> > it.

I figured it out - what i am trying to do is not possible.

see below URL-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/ee639fe0-94b2-4c2d-b0cf-9e9eb121b853

I am giving up "Hyper-V Server" and switching to "Hyper-V Role"

thank you guys for your input!
Jack