From: neutron12345 on

Hi,
I don't know much about networking, so apologies if this is obvious or
lacking detail. Our IP address has been changed for our sbs which we use
for emails. We are on a 'managed network' and have been given our new IP
address, Gateway No, subnet mask No, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS and Mail
relay by the people managing our network. They've instructed us that
they are migrating the mx records. I've put the new IP address, Gateway
No, subnet mask No, Primary and Secondary DNS into our router. I've also
ran the Connect to internet and email setup wizard on our sbs providing
the new primary and secondary DNS and mail relay. What do I need to do
for the public DNS systems to update, as we can't receive e-mail at
present?

Thanks

--
neutron12345
neutron12345's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/244109.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Brian Cryer on
"neutron12345" <neutron12345.4e15lb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I don't know much about networking, so apologies if this is obvious or
> lacking detail. Our IP address has been changed for our sbs which we use
> for emails. We are on a 'managed network' and have been given our new IP
> address, Gateway No, subnet mask No, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS and Mail
> relay by the people managing our network. They've instructed us that
> they are migrating the mx records. I've put the new IP address, Gateway
> No, subnet mask No, Primary and Secondary DNS into our router. I've also
> ran the Connect to internet and email setup wizard on our sbs providing
> the new primary and secondary DNS and mail relay. What do I need to do
> for the public DNS systems to update, as we can't receive e-mail at
> present?

Any changes can take a while and there is nothing you can do to hurry that
along. This is a consequence of how DNS works.

What you can do however is to check that your network people have updated
the mx records and have done it correctly. The important thing to remember
is that this information might be cached, so the following is only a guide.

At the command promt:
nslookup -type=mx cryer.co.uk
will return the mail (MX records) for the given domain - in this case
"cryer.co.uk", so change that to the name of your domain.

Unfortunatly because of caching this may give you the old name. If you know
the nameservers for your domain then you could try querying those directly
to see the current MX records for your domain.

If the MX records aren't right then gte on to whoever is managing your
network and get them to sort it ASAP. If the MX records are right then the
problem lies somewhere else.

Can you publish your domain name and the IP address you expect your MX
records to resolve to?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi Neutron124345:

In addition to Brian's great instructions, you can also use mxtoolbox.com
or dnsstuff.com for this. It will find other errors if they exist.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: Steve Foster on
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] wrote:

> Touchè

Ah, one I forgot to mention is:

http://knowledgebase.demon.net/article/internet-tools.html

The main reason I use Demon's tools is that they have a web-based "dig"
- something of a rarity on DNS querying sites (at least, the ones I'm
familiar with).

Of course, many DNS servers refuse requests for a whole zone, so the
"dig" fails, which does limit its usefulness.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: