From: TomMaddox on
In synching up a staging server and local server, I ran into hundreds,
literally, of messages to the effect that access to dwync.xml was denied, each
one of which had to be OK'ed out of existence. Maddening.

I changed my site definition to stop keeping design notes. Now, when I checked
out a new file, I got an apparently endless stream of these messages. Click OK,
another pops up.

What does this mean, and how can I stop it?

Thanks,

Tom

From: Paul Whitham AdobeCommunityExpert on
dwync.xml maintains synchonisation information between your different
servers. If you are getting the error it sounds like a permissions issue
with regard to either a folder or the file itself. If you are using Check
Out/In then the file is largely irrelevant as you would never run a synch.
If this is the case then in Site Definitions Under the Remote Server tab,
simple deselect the option to "Maintain Synchronization Information"

--
Paul Whitham
Certified Dreamweaver MX2004 Professional

Valleybiz Internet Design
www.valleybiz.net

From: TomMaddox on
Paul,

Thanks for the advice. I do have a question or two because I need to know how
turning off the synch. feature on my machine will affect more general matters.

Apparently, a prior DW synchronization is what screwed up the permissions on
the servers--and I have no idea how and why this happened; probably pilot
error, probably mine, though I have no idea what.

Here's my main concern. We have a staging server and production server, and
two of us work on both. If I turn off the synch. feature on my local machine,
how is that going to impact the work of the other person--who's actually the
webmaster?

Please let me know if I've given you enough info or you need to know more.

Thanks,

Tom

From: Paul Whitham AdobeCommunityExpert on
If more than one person are working on files you should really be using
Check In/Out rather than synching as this will ensure that both don't make
changes to the same file

From: TomMaddox on
Paul,

We are using check out/check in for file editing. I was merely asking whether
unchecking the "maintain synchronization information" box would have any effect
on the other guy's interaction with the site at all.

Tom