From: E.D.G. on
"Jens Thoms Toerring" <jt(a)toerring.de> wrote in message

>> use LWP::Simple;
>> LWP::Simple::getprint("http://www.webhost.com/file.txt");
>
> And that should work - it does for me when putting it into a
> Perl script or using e.g.
>
> perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'
>
> from the command line. Getting error messages about not being
> able to access the web server could be the result of a mis-
> configured system, that you entered an incorrect URL or that

My browser will read the http://www.sn.nl Web site. And PPM works. So my
system is connecting. But I keep getting a error that says:

500 Can't connect to www.sn.no:80 (Bad hostname 'www.sn.no')
(URL:http://www.sn.no)

And on occasion some other type of error will appear.

As you proposed, perhaps this is some type of an ActiveState - Windows
configuration problem.

From: E.D.G. on
"RedGrittyBrick" <RedGrittyBrick(a)SpamWeary.invalid> wrote in message

>> perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'

No variation of that command works in a compiled program or from the command
line. The error message is generally:

500 Can't connect to www.sn.no:80 (Bad hostname 'www.sn.no')
(URL:http://www.sn.no)

However, my browser will read that site. And PPM works. So that system is
able to access Web sites.

From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 27/06/2010 03:25, E.D.G. wrote:
> "Tad McClellan" <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> perldoc LWP::Simple
>> has this as its first example:
>> perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'
>> That works fine for me.
>

> perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint 'http://www.sn.no'"
>
> And the error that I keep getting for that (or any other Web site) is:
>
> 500 Can't connect to www.sn.no:80 (Bad hostname 'www.sn.no')
> (URL:http://www.sn.no)
>
> It might be an ActiveState + Widows problem. Quite often I have trouble
> getting commands to work properly as they appear in the documentation.
> It frequently takes a while to get the right format. Then they work fine
> from that point on.
>
> PPM connects properly to the Internet and downloads modules. So some
> type of command does work.

1) Use nslookup to test Windows' resolution of domain names

C:\> nslookup www.sn.no
Server: xxxxxxxxxxx
Address: nnnnnnnnnnnn

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: sn.no
Address: 85.252.127.171
Aliases: www.sn.no

2) Check for any proxy settings that are checked for by LWP::Simple (via
LWP::UserAgent)

C:\> set http
http_proxy=http://1.2.3.4:8080

You can temporarily remove a proxy setting...
C:\> set http_proxy=

--
RGB
From: E.D.G. on
"E.D.G." <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> use LWP::Simple;
> LWP::Simple::getprint("http://www.webhost.com/file.txt");

Problem Solved - It was a virus software blocking problem!

The notes posted in response to my first enquiry provided enough
information to make it possible to use some logic to determine the nature of
this problem.

Since people responded that they were not having any trouble with the
above Web site access command, since my browser could access Web sites, and
since the Perl PPM program worked, that suggested that something might be
blocking my Perl program's access to the Web site. And that turned out to
be the case.

My virus software decided to block that specific Perl application
without sending me an easily recognizable warning note stating that it was
doing that. And after using some logic and determining that that might be
the case I tried the command on a different computer with different virus
software. That one did the same thing. However, the virus program clearly
indicated that it was blocking the application. And I knew how to tell it
to let the Perl application run. It worked. So, now all I need to do is
get my other virus program to let the application run. That should not be
difficult.

This particular program application is quite important in my opinion.
And the Newsgroups are important because they can provide people with some
fresh approaches when they run into a problem like that. As anyone who does
much programming knows, there are times when you have a code error that is
invisible to you for some reason. An easy solution can be to let someone
else look at the code. He or she might spot the error in a few minutes.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

From: E.D.G. on

>> perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint 'http://www.sn.no'"
> 1) Use nslookup to test Windows' resolution of domain names
> 2) Check for any proxy settings that are checked for by LWP::Simple (via

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. As one of my other notes
explained, after hearing from other people that the command worked for them
and by applying some logic I was able to determine that the command was
being blocked by my virus software.

Over the years, each time I have attempted a Perl program application
to run that was dramatically different from ones I have used in the past it
took a while to get through a new group of bugs. And this is the first time
that I tried to have a Perl program go out on the Internet and read data
from Web site files. I have a potentially important freeware program that
is presently available to government scientists and independent researchers
around the world. And I am trying to add a feature to it that will enable
it to access data files from one of my Web sites and use them in its
calculations. The data change each week. And if people had to keep
manually downloading the new data they would get tired of doing that and
probably stop using the program regardless of its value.

Having run into that blocking problem myself I can now add a note to
the ReadMe files warning program users to check their virus software if the
program won't download data for them.