From: E.D.G. on
DOWNLOADING And PRINTING WEB SITE FILES QUESTIONS

I am running a recent version of the ActiveState Perl program with Windows
XP and Vista operating systems. The LWP module has been installed.

Could someone list the correct Perl code to use for having a Perl program
download and store or print a file from a Web site?

I read all of the online documentation I could locate and tried various
commands. However, error messages keep appearing that say that the Web
hosts cannot be accessed etc.

This is a command that I tried for simply printing a text file to the
monitor. (A real Web site address was used, not the one listed here.)

use LWP::Simple;
LWP::Simple::getprint("http://www.webhost.com/file.txt");

From: Jens Thoms Toerring on
E.D.G. <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I am running a recent version of the ActiveState Perl program with Windows
> XP and Vista operating systems. The LWP module has been installed.

> Could someone list the correct Perl code to use for having a Perl program
> download and store or print a file from a Web site?

> I read all of the online documentation I could locate and tried various
> commands. However, error messages keep appearing that say that the Web
> hosts cannot be accessed etc.

> This is a command that I tried for simply printing a text file to the
> monitor. (A real Web site address was used, not the one listed here.)

> use LWP::Simple;
> LWP::Simple::getprint("http://www.webhost.com/file.txt");

And that should work - it does for me when putting it into a
Perl script or using e.g.

perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'

from the command line. Getting error messages about not being
able to access the web server could be the result of a mis-
configured system, that you entered an incorrect URL or that
you either try to download a page that the web server is not
allowed to serve. To find out what's going on you would have
to post the error messages with the exact code you're using,
without that everything is just pure guesswork. And also keep
in mind that the module doesn't do authentification, a web
page that you can view in your browser might only be available
since you're logged in into that site already.

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ jt(a)toerring.de
From: Tad McClellan on
E.D.G. <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Could someone list the correct Perl code to use for having a Perl program
> download and store or print a file from a Web site?
>
> I read all of the online documentation I could locate

How about not-online documentation?

Such as the documentation for the module that you are using.

> and tried various
> commands. However, error messages keep appearing that say that the Web
> hosts cannot be accessed etc.

Please post verbatim, not paraphrased, error messages, along with
the actual code that you ran to generate those error messages.

> This is a command that I tried for simply printing a text file to the
> monitor. (A real Web site address was used, not the one listed here.)

Why is the one listed here not a real website?

> use LWP::Simple;

perldoc LWP::Simple

has this as its first example:

perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'

That works fine for me.

Does that work for you?

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 26/06/2010 15:04, Tad McClellan wrote:
> E.D.G.<edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>

>> use LWP::Simple;
>
> perldoc LWP::Simple
>
> has this as its first example:
>
> perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'
>
> That works fine for me.

It probably wouldn't for E.D.G. because, as mentioned, he is using
ActiveState which means he is probably using Windows and needs to use a
different form of quoting:

perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint 'http://www.sn.no'"

If I recall correctly, the O.P. is liable to overlook this sort of
detail unless reminded explicitly.

Incorrect quoting may not be the cause of E.D.G's original problem of
course.

--
RGB
From: E.D.G. on
"Tad McClellan" <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid> wrote in message

> perldoc LWP::Simple
> has this as its first example:
> perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"'
> That works fine for me.

As I said, I checked multiple documentations including the ActiveState info
and the Perl FAQ.

That command was one that was tried with both my high speed service, dialup
service, in a compiled program, from the Windows DOS command line, from the
Windows Run command line and in a DOS batch file.

It needs to have the following form to run without a format error message:

perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint 'http://www.sn.no'"

And the error that I keep getting for that (or any other Web site) is:

500 Can't connect to www.sn.no:80 (Bad hostname 'www.sn.no')
(URL:http://www.sn.no)

It might be an ActiveState + Widows problem. Quite often I have trouble
getting commands to work properly as they appear in the documentation. It
frequently takes a while to get the right format. Then they work fine from
that point on.

PPM connects properly to the Internet and downloads modules. So some type
of command does work.