From: RichKel44 on

I accidentally deleted a computer from AD and now I want to put it back
and keep the same name with the same XP computer that originally had
that name. I added the computer name back into the domain and now I
intend to boot the XP computer login to it locally and remove it from
the domain. Can I then just add it back to the domain using the same
name? Do I have to reset the AD account before i do it?
Thank You

--
RichKel44
RichKel44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/248616.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello RichKel44,

If you have deleted it from AD UC and don't use a backup to restore the object,
make the machine member of a workgroup and then join it again to the domain.
That's it. You have no need to precreate the account in AD UC before.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: RichKel44 on

Thanks for the reply Meinolf, I'm kind of a rookie at this but when I
realized yesterday that i had deleted the computer object/name from AD
container a few weeks ago because the XP desktop computer in question
had not connected to the domain in months I followed my normal 1st step
when wanting to add a computer to the domain by creating the object in
AD with the same name as before. You mention I didnt have to do that and
I dont understand why but I'm sure it's ok that I did, and now I will
boot the XP desktop loaclly and put it back tio workgroup, reboot again
and attach it to the domain again keeping the "old" name. Any other
comments would be appreciated.
thanks

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello RichKel44,

If you add a compute rto the domain the machine name will be created during
domain join in AD UC in the computers container. From there you can move
the computer object to the OU where it should be located to apply all configured
policies(if some are configured)

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.