From: kidkosmo on
Hi, All,

Is there a way to have Access acknowledge an asterisk as a string
value rather than a wildcard? I would like to add validation to a
field that will not allow and asterisk to be added as part of that
field; however, the validation appears to recognize that value as a
wildcard and does not allow any value to be entered.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!
From: James A. Fortune on
On May 31, 11:15 pm, kidkosmo <kidkos...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> Is there a way to have Access acknowledge an asterisk as a string
> value rather than a wildcard?  I would like to add validation to a
> field that will not allow and asterisk to be added as part of that
> field; however, the validation appears to recognize that value as a
> wildcard and does not allow any value to be entered.
>
> Thoughts, ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Try:

SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE FieldName LIKE "*[*]*";

to return records from MyTable where FieldName contains an asterisk.
Maybe NOT LIKE "*[*]*" will give the opposite.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster(a)FortuneJames.com
From: david on
Or, if you want that as a validation rule,

LIKE "fred[*]nurk"

applied to a textbox or table, that only accepts
fred*nurk

(david)

From: John Spencer on
If you just want to eliminate asterisks then the validation rule could be
Or
NOT Like "*[*]*"
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010