From: babyeggplant on
Hello,

We're talking about two Windows XP machines, one a Sony Vaio laptop, the
other a MacBook, running boot camp. Both have all service packs installed,
all current patches and updates installed. Both are carefully checked for
malware. Both of them connect to the internet via my WiFi router.

I recently upgraded the firmware for my D-Link WiFi router. The DSL modem
is in bridge mode. The configurations for connecting to my DSL ISP (AT&T) are
entered into the router.

After the firmware upgrade, I re-entered the ISP settings, and entered a new
WPA password for the WiFi. The wifi network worked, sort of, for both
Macintosh and Windows machines. But it seemed like it was often disconnecting
and reconnecting the machines connected by WiFi, even though the signal was
strong.

Frustrated, and attempting to troubleshoot, I disabled the WPA protection.
For now, I have no password protection for WiFi access.

The WiFi seems to work fine on my Macintosh laptops.

On my Windows Xp machines, described above, the WiFi frequently disconnects,
momentarily. If I click on the little WiFi icon, I see a message that says
"Acquiring network address." Sometimes this happens once every few minutes.
Sometimes it happens less often. Soon, a network address is re-established,
and I'm connected to the internet.

I particularly notice this problem because I use the Rhapsody To Go
application on the Windows XP machines. Every time the WiFi looks for a new
network address, I lose my connection, have to log in again.

I'm tempted to buy a new router, but I'd be really discouraged if I had the
same problems with a new one.

What could the trouble be? Troubleshooting suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
From: Lem on
babyeggplant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're talking about two Windows XP machines, one a Sony Vaio laptop, the
> other a MacBook, running boot camp. Both have all service packs installed,
> all current patches and updates installed. Both are carefully checked for
> malware. Both of them connect to the internet via my WiFi router.
>
> I recently upgraded the firmware for my D-Link WiFi router. The DSL modem
> is in bridge mode. The configurations for connecting to my DSL ISP (AT&T) are
> entered into the router.
>
> After the firmware upgrade, I re-entered the ISP settings, and entered a new
> WPA password for the WiFi. The wifi network worked, sort of, for both
> Macintosh and Windows machines. But it seemed like it was often disconnecting
> and reconnecting the machines connected by WiFi, even though the signal was
> strong.
>
> Frustrated, and attempting to troubleshoot, I disabled the WPA protection.
> For now, I have no password protection for WiFi access.
>
> The WiFi seems to work fine on my Macintosh laptops.
>
> On my Windows Xp machines, described above, the WiFi frequently disconnects,
> momentarily. If I click on the little WiFi icon, I see a message that says
> "Acquiring network address." Sometimes this happens once every few minutes.
> Sometimes it happens less often. Soon, a network address is re-established,
> and I'm connected to the internet.
>
> I particularly notice this problem because I use the Rhapsody To Go
> application on the Windows XP machines. Every time the WiFi looks for a new
> network address, I lose my connection, have to log in again.
>
> I'm tempted to buy a new router, but I'd be really discouraged if I had the
> same problems with a new one.
>
> What could the trouble be? Troubleshooting suggestions very welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim

It could be something as simple as a power-save feature on the wifi
adapter on the Sony or it could be something in the new router firmware
(why did you update it?).

Try checking in a D-Link specific forum (and include the model of your
router): e.g., http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink (there seems to be
some issue with firmware rev 1.20 for the DGL 4500).

D-Link company forums: http://forums.dlink.com/

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: babyeggplant on

"Lem" wrote:

> It could be something as simple as a power-save feature on the wifi
> adapter on the Sony or it could be something in the new router firmware
> (why did you update it?).
>
> Try checking in a D-Link specific forum (and include the model of your
> router): e.g., http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink (there seems to be
> some issue with firmware rev 1.20 for the DGL 4500).
>
> D-Link company forums: http://forums.dlink.com/
>

> --
> Lem

Thankya Lem,

It's a D-Link WBR-2310. I see a some other similar complaints about this
router on the DSLreports.com forum. I upgraded the firmware because someone
told me that more recent firmware is safer and more reliable. This router
worked fine with the old firmware. However, I think I had WEP password
protection enabled.

It looks like I'm not making any classic mistakes, and maybe this router is
kind of old. I might try a hardware reset first, then reset the DSL settings,
and so on. If that doesn't work, I suppose I will replace it and hope for the
best.

Tim
From: noi ance on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:44:01 -0800, babyeggplant typed this message:

> "Lem" wrote:
>

>> It could be something as simple as a power-save feature on the wifi
>> adapter on the Sony or it could be something in the new router firmware
>> (why did you update it?).
>>
>> Try checking in a D-Link specific forum (and include the model of your
>> router): e.g., http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink (there seems to be
>> some issue with firmware rev 1.20 for the DGL 4500).
>>
>> D-Link company forums: http://forums.dlink.com/
>>

>> --
>> Lem
>

> Thankya Lem,
>
> It's a D-Link WBR-2310. I see a some other similar complaints about this
> router on the DSLreports.com forum. I upgraded the firmware because
> someone told me that more recent firmware is safer and more reliable.
> This router worked fine with the old firmware. However, I think I had
> WEP password protection enabled.
>
> It looks like I'm not making any classic mistakes, and maybe this router
> is kind of old. I might try a hardware reset first, then reset the DSL
> settings, and so on. If that doesn't work, I suppose I will replace it
> and hope for the best.
>

> Tim

I hope I'm not too late but I think you just need to reset your router to
factory settings. Then re-enter your desired configuration. Follow
router instruction manual to reset to factory settings.

I had a similar problem when my router was constantly scanning for
channels, which meant it disconnected every 3 seconds. Solved by reset
to factory settings, then putting in my configuration.
From: babyeggplant on

"noi ance" wrote:

> I hope I'm not too late but I think you just need to reset your router to
> factory settings. Then re-enter your desired configuration. Follow
> router instruction manual to reset to factory settings.
>
> I had a similar problem when my router was constantly scanning for
> channels, which meant it disconnected every 3 seconds. Solved by reset
> to factory settings, then putting in my configuration.

I actually solved this problem! Lurkers and future searchers might find this
helpful.

It was a conflict between the Rhapsody (music player) application and the
D-Link router. D-Link routers often have problems with UPnP (Universal Plug
and Play). This is a well-known problem with the Rhapsody application. You
have to turn off the UPnP application. I think it's in the preferences menu.

Baby E.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: WPA-NONE versus WEP