From: msnyc07 on
Is there anyway to generate an acronym on cell contents with a function?

Ideally I could ignore certain words e.g. of, the, and, etc. and then for
the first letter of each word generate an acronym e.g.

United States of America = USA
From: Mike H on
Hi,

Try this UDF which extracts the first capital of each word

Function FrstLtrs(MyStr As String) As String
Dim temp
Dim i As Long
TmpStr = Split(Trim(MyStr))
For i = 0 To UBound(TmpStr)
If Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) >= 65 And _
Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) <= 90 Then
FrstLtrs = FrstLtrs & Left(TmpStr(i), 1)
End If
Next
End Function

--
Mike

question.

From: msnyc07 on
Awesome, thanks so much!

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try this UDF which extracts the first capital of each word
>
> Function FrstLtrs(MyStr As String) As String
> Dim temp
> Dim i As Long
> TmpStr = Split(Trim(MyStr))
> For i = 0 To UBound(TmpStr)
> If Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) >= 65 And _
> Asc(Left(TmpStr(i), 1)) <= 90 Then
> FrstLtrs = FrstLtrs & Left(TmpStr(i), 1)
> End If
> Next
> End Function
>
> --
> Mike

> question.
>

> "msnyc07" wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway to generate an acronym on cell contents with a function?
> >
> > Ideally I could ignore certain words e.g. of, the, and, etc. and then for
> > the first letter of each word generate an acronym e.g.
> >
> > United States of America = USA

Pages: 1
Prev: formulas
Next: Countif function