From: lb303910 on
I just removed several obsolete programs from my Dell 2350 (running XP) to
free up some space on the hard disk. I used the Add or Remove Programs from
the control panel and they removed cleanly but I did not regain any hard disk
space after removing several gigs of programs. The programs did not appear
in the recycle bin after I deleted them.

Is there somewhere else I need to go or something else I need to do to get
them off the hard disk?

Thanks In Advance,

lb303910

From: Daave on
lb303910 wrote:
> I just removed several obsolete programs from my Dell 2350 (running
> XP) to free up some space on the hard disk. I used the Add or Remove
> Programs from the control panel and they removed cleanly but I did
> not regain any hard disk space after removing several gigs of
> programs. The programs did not appear in the recycle bin after I
> deleted them.
>
> Is there somewhere else I need to go or something else I need to do
> to get them off the hard disk?

You are mistaken. Programs do not take up that much space. Perhaps data
associated with them, but not the programs themselves. From what you
have written, it sounds like the programs are gone. When you remove them
the correct way (like you did) -- using Add or Remove Programs, you are
not deleting them (which explains why you wouldn't find them in the
Recylce Bin), you are uninstalling them.

Then again, programs really don't take up much space (certainly not
"several gigs" worth!), so you wouldn't notice any appreciable savings
in disk space.

Is there anything in your Recycle Bin at all? If so, you won't be able
to reclaim any disk space until you empty it.

Also, you might want to run XP's Disk Cleanup:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_cleanup_utility.htm

The most worthwhile entries to delete are the temp files.

There are a number of other options to reclaim more disk space, but
before we go any further, what is the size of your hard drive and how
much free space is currently on it? Often, as long as the rest of the PC
is in good shape, the best solution is to purchase a larger hard drive.