From: Greg A on
Hello all,
I am running Windows XP Pro, and after running combofix.exe which wanted to
reboot my pc, gave me an error and now I'm unable to login to my pc.
I get a blue screen error:
STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc0000034.
The system has been shut down.

I tried all options available in F8(safe mode, last known good
configuration), and Windows recovery, however I'm unable to go forth because
the blue screen comes on before I can login to the pc.

I connected my drive to my other pc, and I am able to list the files and
directories in windows explorer.

Is there a file or boot setting that I can copy/replace so when I connect
the hard drive back to my pc, it will load the logon screen?

Thanks in advance.

From: DL on
I would copy data to your other PC if you haven't already done so

Presumably you had a virus / malware which is why you ran the utility?
Do you have an actual winxp cd or simply a recovery cd?

From: John John - MVP on
Greg A wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am running Windows XP Pro, and after running combofix.exe which wanted to
> reboot my pc, gave me an error and now I'm unable to login to my pc.
> I get a blue screen error:
> STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
> The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
> status of 0xc0000034.
> The system has been shut down.
>
> I tried all options available in F8(safe mode, last known good
> configuration), and Windows recovery, however I'm unable to go forth because
> the blue screen comes on before I can login to the pc.
>
> I connected my drive to my other pc, and I am able to list the files and
> directories in windows explorer.
>
> Is there a file or boot setting that I can copy/replace so when I connect
> the hard drive back to my pc, it will load the logon screen?

While the drive is connected to the other pc use the "Load Hive" feature
in regedit and verify that the Msgina.dll GINA hasn't been replaced with
a third party GINA:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302346
The Default Windows Logon Interface May Not Appear After Installing
Third-Party Program

Easy to follow instructions for remotely editing the registry:
http://www.rwin.ch/xp-live/regedit.htm

If you can't log on with the Last Known Good Configuration and if the
GINA has not been replaced then an in-place upgrade (repair install) of
the operating system is about the only thing else to do:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

John