From: Uwe Kleine-König on
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:23:56AM +0200, Lothar Wa�mann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > Using a mutex in clk_enable()/clk_disable() is a bad idea, since that
> > > makes it impossible to call those functions in interrupt context.
IMHO if a device generates an irq its clock should already be on. This
way you don't need to enable or disable a clock in irq context.

> > Do we do this at the moment? I know at least one implementation of clk_enable
> > uses a mutex for locking.
> >
> You are probably talking about the Freescale i.MX51 kernel, that won't
> even boot, if you enable CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL, CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK,
> CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCKDEP and CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP.
> The mutex in the clock implementation is one of the reasons.
I will have a look into this later today.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-K�nig |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
From: Lothar Waßmann on
Hi,

> IMHO if a device generates an irq its clock should already be on. This
> way you don't need to enable or disable a clock in irq context.

You may want to disable a clock in the IRQ handler. The VPU driver in
the Freescale BSP for i.MX51 does exactly this.
Anyway I don't see any reason for using a mutex here instead of
spin_lock_irq_save() as all other implementations do.

Lothar Wa�mann

Ka-Ro electronics GmbH | Pascalstra�e 22 | D - 52076 Aachen
Phone: +49 2408 1402-0 | Fax: +49 2408 1402-10
Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Matthias Kaussen
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 4996

www.karo-electronics.de | info(a)karo-electronics.de
From: Jeremy Kerr on
Hi Lothar,

> You may want to disable a clock in the IRQ handler. The VPU driver in
> the Freescale BSP for i.MX51 does exactly this.

Is this something we can defer to a sleepable context?

> Anyway I don't see any reason for using a mutex here instead of
> spin_lock_irq_save() as all other implementations do.

Just that enable/disable may take an arbitrarily long time to complete. Sounds
like that hasn't been a problem in the past though.

Cheers,

Jeremy
From: Uwe Kleine-König on
Hello Lothar,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:58:39AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-K�nig wrote:
> > You are probably talking about the Freescale i.MX51 kernel, that won't
> > even boot, if you enable CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL, CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK,
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCKDEP and CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP.
> > The mutex in the clock implementation is one of the reasons.
> I will have a look into this later today.
I take this back as this is not a mainline problem.

Best regards
Uwe

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt on
On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 12:08 +0200, Lothar Waßmann wrote:
> Hi,

> > IMHO if a device generates an irq its clock should already be on. This
> > way you don't need to enable or disable a clock in irq context.
> >
> You may want to disable a clock in the IRQ handler. The VPU driver in
> the Freescale BSP for i.MX51 does exactly this.
> Anyway I don't see any reason for using a mutex here instead of
> spin_lock_irq_save() as all other implementations do.

Because you suddenly make it impossible to sleep inside enable/disable
unless I'm mistaken about the implementation details. Some PLLs can need
milliseconds to stabilize (especially if they need to be powered up
first). Doing that with a lock held is a BAD IDEA.

Cheers,
Ben.