From: MLS on
Hi There - I am trying to add costs to different tasks and for some reason
they are not adding up. My column is fixed cost; any suggestions?
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Add the Cost field. That captures both the Fixed and Variable Costs, then
rolls them up to the summary level.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: Trevor Rabey on
If you type costs directly into the task Cost field, MSP will interpret this
as Fixed Cost, which is any Cost that is associated with a task that does
not come from resource costs.
You can see this in the Cost Table.
Fixed Cost does not roll up. This gives you the possibility of assigning
costs to Summaries, which might seem like a good idea but it isn't.
For one thing, the macro behind the Analyse Timescaled Data in Excel button
on the Analysis Toolbar (MSP2003) extracts task cost but does not extract
Summary costs for the Cumulative Cost graph.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: BartH on

Today I noticed this same problem - in column Fixed Cost, the values
don't add up.
I understand the explanation, but can't we do some scripting here to fix
this?

--
BartH
BartH's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217125.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
But there's no problem. Fixed Costs are entered in the Fixed Cost field.
Variable Costs are entered in the Resource Sheet. Cost sums them all up.

If you'd like to sum up Fixed Cost on it's own, just create a new custom
field and set it to equal "Fixed Cost." Then make sure it's rolling up the
sum to the Summary level.