From: RixMcx on
Obviously this ([Finish Variance]/ ProjDateDiff(Phase Start,Phase Finish))
does not work because I can't figure out how to capture Phase start and
finish in the formula. I want to report on indivdual phase health by
comparing Finish Variance to phase duration.

This alternative ([Finish Variance]/(ProjDateDiff([Project
Start],[Finish]))*100) works but I would like to use the phase. Something
like;

IIf([name]= "Design Phase" and [SubTask]="Design Phase",[Finish Variance]/
ProjDateDiff(Phase Start,Phase Finish,IIf([name]= "Test Phase" and
[SubTask]="Test Phase",[Finish Variance]/ ProjDateDiff(Phase Start,Phase
Finish,

and so on.
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Assuming your phases are all the top level summary tasks, I would do some
custom field which flags Outline Level 1 tasks. I don't have Project open on
my current computer, but something like:

IIF([Outline Level]=1,IIF([Milestone]=No,Round([Finish
Variance]/[Duration]*100,0),""),"")&"%"

In a spare text field.

Although, a better measure of variance would be Finish Variance / Baseline
Duration.

From: RixMcx on
Andrew. I did not get the result I was after. I s their a way to create a
custom date column to show [Phase Start] and another for [Phase Finish]. I
want all the sub tasks in their phase to show their Phase Start in the custom
column.

thanks

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
If I understand you correctly, then you want each subtask finish variance
to measure against the the summary task duration?

That's a bit hard to do, but the easiest way would be:

1) Develop your schedule
2) Create a custom Duration field for each phase. In the formula, simply
set the Duration1/2/3 equal to the calculated duration of each summary task.
3) Create a second custom field which calculates the Finish Variance/Duration1

The hard part is to track one field against data calculated in another field.

Alternately, you could do what you're looking for using VBA, but not sure
if that would be easier or harder.

I guess the main question is "why?" I don't think I've seen anyone track
a project using that kind of metric.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: RixMcx on
Thanks Andrew, yes you understand correctly(what I am trying to do). I think
VBA is the way to go. Do I need to create a user defined function or would a
conditional statement work?. I have worked with VBA in Access and Outlook.
Would I declare "Name" And "Duration" and then extract the value AS Phase
duration? I am a bit rusty in VBA.

As for why I am trying to do this; I wanted to demonstrate different ways
of displaying project health, good methods as well as poor methods.
Basically it has become a challenge and I would like to finish what I have
started. thanks for your help.

Rick

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Recording a macro