From: Jeremy Sage Jeremy on
Please could someone advise on the best way of adding the necessary bootstrap
files for SQL Server 2008 Express SP1 (I am running VS 2008 SP1).

I have added SQL Server 2008 Express (pre SP1); I think this was following
the instructions at the following:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2008/09/12/faq-installing-the-sql-server-2008-express-clickonce-bootstrapper-for-visual-studio-2008-sp1.aspx

However, pre SP1 does not support Windows 7 so I need the SP1 files. I can
download the installation files:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01af61e6-2f63-4291-bcad-fd500f6027ff&displaylang=en

.... but what about the package.xml, product.xml and SqlExpressChk.exe files?

I don't really want to have to resort to the workaround in the first link
above (especially if I don't know if it will work) and I do not want to have
to create the package.xml file from scratch (and I presume I need a different
version of SqlExpressChk.exe). I have tried a web search but can't seem to
find anything.

Can someone provide a good link for the necessary files?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

From: Johnny J. on
Hi Jeremy

Sorry, I don't have the solution to your problem. I just wanted to ask you a
question:

How the h*** did you get your SQL Server 2008 upgraded with SP1 in the first
place?

I'm trying to install it on my new Windows 7 installation, but it refuses to
install the required SP1. I have tried downloading the SP directly from
MSDN, but the installation just quits without any useful error message.

I have also tried installing the SP via Windows Update, but if fails there
too, and so does two updates for Visual Studio 2008...

Did you have similar problems?

TIA,
/Johnny J.

From: Gregory A. Beamer on
=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFNhZ2U=?= <Jeremy Sage(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote in

> Can someone provide a good link for the necessary files?

Here is something someone "hacked" up:
http://snurl.com/tol2c

This just shows how to get the bootstrapper and is probably a bit too
light for your needs.

I also found this one:
http://snurl.com/tol1j

I am not sure if it will solve your problem directly, but it is one
option to look at.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
From: Jeremy Sage Jeremy on
I don't know if this answers your question as I am running VS on Vista but
doing an install of an application on Windows 7 that needed SQL 2008 I found
that installing SQL pre SP1 just errored without a useful message but
installed SQL 2008 Express SP1 direct from the MS website and it installed OK
and the rest of the application installed and ran OK.

MS download for SQL 2008 Express SP1:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=01AF61E6-2F63-4291-BCAD-FD500F6027FF&displaylang=en

HTH
Jeremy

From: Jeremy Sage Jeremy on
Thanks for the reply. The first reference goes back to the first link I
posted. This hack proposes downloading VS 2008 SP1 (and refers to SQL Server
Express 2008 pre SP1) - this has the advantage of including the packge files
but I am not sure whether the latest version of VS includes SP1 for SQL. I
don't really want to go down this route only to find that I have ended up
with SQL pre SP1. The download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en
only refers to SQL Server 2008 (no ref to SP1) and again, info on say VB
2008 Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/
only refers to SQL Server 2008 Express with no reference to SP1. If anyone
can advise on whether the latest version of VS 2008 Express SP1 includes SQL
Server Express 2008 SP1 it would be greatly appreciated.

The second link refers to SQL Server with tools but seems again to refer to
the pre SP1 version. Although it gives details on the package files, one of
the problems is that I want to make sure that I can install on to Windows 7 -
and as Windows 7 does not seem to be supported until SP1 I don't think the
package files will include the necessary content.

Thanks anyway.