From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Folks

Many thanks for all your assistance these last few months. Version
2.00 of my app is on my website and I've already received some very
nice comments.

I'd like to add a toolbar to my app very similar to the Back, Next,
Cut, Copy etc buttons at
http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/Toolbar/vbAccelerator_ToolBar_and_CoolMenu_Control/article.asp
If I can add some icons to the menu bar so much the better.

One of my criteria though is I want to distribute only a single VB6
exe. This code appears to want an OCX and several DLLs for
distribution with your VB6 exe. Before I spend too much time hacking
it are there any suggestions or alternatives?

My current screen is at http://autofeupdater.com/. I want to replace
all those command buttons with a toolbar at the top.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: MikeD on

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> I'd like to add a toolbar to my app very similar to the Back, Next,
> Cut, Copy etc buttons at
> http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/Toolbar/vbAccelerator_ToolBar_and_CoolMenu_Control/article.asp
> If I can add some icons to the menu bar so much the better.
>
> One of my criteria though is I want to distribute only a single VB6
> exe. This code appears to want an OCX and several DLLs for
> distribution with your VB6 exe. Before I spend too much time hacking
> it are there any suggestions or alternatives?
>
> My current screen is at http://autofeupdater.com/. I want to replace
> all those command buttons with a toolbar at the top.

While I understand wanting to limit the dependencies your app has, OCXs
exist to be used. There's nothing wrong with using them. Granted, for some
things, like displaying the same common dialog boxes offered by the
comdlg32.ocx, the API function calls are fairly easy and straight-forward.
It makes sense to use the API and eliminate that particular control.

A toolbar...that's a little bit different. But, you can use the API to
create a toolbar if you really want to put the effort into and are really
dead-set against using an OCX. You'll have to write probably quite a bit of
code and you'll need to use subclassing to process messages. It's not
something that I would recommend a beginner or even intermediate VB6
programmer undertake. But, if you search the newsgroups or the web, I'd bet
you could find example code to at least give you a start. Try searching on
"TOOLBARCLASSNAME" (or perhaps "ToolbarWindow32", which is the string value
of that constant). This very toolbar control is available in the Windows
Common Controls OCX (both the VB5 and VB6 versions), should you decide a
single OCX file is OK.

You might also want to at least take a look at Codejock Software's
CommandBars. http://www.codejock.com/products/commandbars/?platform=com.
It's not free though. This will let you create menus with icons, and much
more. It's actually a very good product. I use it quite a bit. It's also one
of the FEW ActiveX components still actively developed and supported. It's
supports tabbed toolbars and Office 2007-style ribbon bars. My only gripe
about it is that it's not the most intuitive thing to use. And no, I'm not
affiliated with Codejock in any way. Just suggesting a product that might
suit your needs (if you can get over that criteria you have).

--
Mike

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>I'd like to add a toolbar to my app very similar to the Back, Next,
>Cut, Copy etc buttons at
>http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/Toolbar/vbAccelerator_ToolBar_and_CoolMenu_Control/article.asp
>If I can add some icons to the menu bar so much the better.

Found another much simpler one at
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=63251&lngWId=1

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:

I posted a reply but somehow it never made it to the server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Karl E. Peterson on
MikeD explained on 2/2/2010 :
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote...
>> One of my criteria though is I want to distribute only a single VB6
>> exe.
>
> While I understand wanting to limit the dependencies your app has, OCXs exist
> to be used. There's nothing wrong with using them.

Tony has explained "countless" times that a specific *feature* of his
application is admin-free installation. In other words, it's being
marketed directly to people with Nazi IT departments standing in the
way of them doing their job. I support your position of course, but
you also gotta respect the desire to eliminate the need for admin
intervention, in particular with the explosive growth of the least
rights movement.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org