From: dushkin on
Hi everyone!
I would like to add some of my images I shoot by myself with my own
camera to my site.
But when I added them to my images folder I couldn't see them on the
files panel.
Also when I navigated to their folder using the button on the image
properties panel - I couldn't find them.
Their type is jpg and I also tried to convert them to gif, but with no
luck

Any help is blessed.
Thanks.
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message
<612acd4b-5593-4b0c-98bb-eb675cf17c2d(a)g27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
dushkin <dushkin(a)012.net.il> writes
>I would like to add some of my images I shoot by myself with my own
>camera to my site.
>But when I added them to my images folder I couldn't see them on the
>files panel.
>Also when I navigated to their folder using the button on the image
>properties panel - I couldn't find them.
>Their type is jpg and I also tried to convert them to gif, but with no
>luck

Any chance you have 2 image folders? I've been caught that way before.
Or perhaps one folder is on line and the other on your computer?

(Remember to resize your photos first - a straight photo from a camera
is going to be very big indeed - but then you probably know that already
and it shouldn't stop you seeing them in the folder.)

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: dushkin on
Thank you Duncan,

What I did - I downloaded a site template(http://
www.freewebsitetemplates.com/download.php?template=hardwarestore) and
then I tried to replace the images with my private ones that I shoot
with a Nikon CoolPix camera.

I put the images in the folder of the original images. I also cut
back its size to according to the original images using Strech\Skew
feature of MSPaint.

Then I navigated to that folder and also refreshed the files trees on
the right but I didn't see the files....

I suspect that there are several types of jpeg and gifs that
dreamweaver does not support. The question is : which types it does
support and how can I convert my files to them?

Thanks.
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message
<d1f54953-8104-4a8a-b39b-9c9e4682ce74(a)c16g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
dushkin <taltene(a)gmail.com> writes
>Thank you Duncan,
>
> What I did - I downloaded a site template(http://
>www.freewebsitetemplates.com/download.php?template=hardwarestore) and
>then I tried to replace the images with my private ones that I shoot
>with a Nikon CoolPix camera.
>
> I put the images in the folder of the original images. I also cut
>back its size to according to the original images using Strech\Skew
>feature of MSPaint.
>
> Then I navigated to that folder and also refreshed the files trees on
>the right but I didn't see the files....
>
> I suspect that there are several types of jpeg and gifs that
>dreamweaver does not support. The question is : which types it does
>support and how can I convert my files to them?

Now that's interesting. I just downloaded the same. template, added a
JPEG of my own and it showed up along the images in the image file in
Dreamweaver (I tried CS3 on a PC and CS4 on a Mac), I was able to add
the photo of my own to the images file and insert it in the usual way
from the DW Insert image from the menu.

I've never known Dreamweaver to fail to show a JPEG or GIF in all the
time I have used it - quite a few years now. But I wouldn't be
surprised if MS Paint did something funny, perhaps saved as a BMP
MSPaint default) and put a JPG on the end. But that is surmise.

I do find Dreamweaver has the habit of showing the last image file you
used rather than one relating to a new site.

Can I make a couple of suggestions.

1. If you have the Adobe Suite, you should have Fireworks - I
practically live with that.

2. Fireworks is very expensive so now for the free recommendation. The
best *free file format and size manipulation software I have ever seen
is Irfanview:

http://www.irfanview.net/

Irfan has worked with all the versions of Windows since 95 and I have
it now on both XP and Vista - haven't tried Win 7 yet and it doesn't
work on Linux or Mac.

The download is quite small and the installation easy - take the
plug-ins too - just one point - during installation it may ask you if
you want Irfan to be the default for a long list of file types. I
accept the ones I have never heard of and the ones I don't have a
preference for but refuse the ones I know I'll want to open in another
application (like Dreamweaver and Fireworks and browsers). It is a long
list of tick boxes.

Irfan has the ability to change formats from one thing to another and
also to resize and change the resolution to 72ppi look for
"resize/resample" Use Resample bottom right rather than resize. Then
save as.

Just one bit of advice if you aren't familiar with JPEGs (if you are,
forgive me). JPEGs shrink file sizes by combining adjacent pixels
creating "artefacts". If you save a second time you are probably OK but
open the second file and save *that a third time and you get artefacts
on your artefacts - painful to look at. So always preserve the original
- and if you are saving intermediate versions use something else like
PSD (Photoshop) until you reach the stage when you want the final JPEG.

As a rough rule of thumb, use GIFs for graphics with big expanses of
flat colour - use JPEGs for photos and lots of shading.

Let me know how you get on and come back if you're still stuck..

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: Your Name on

"dushkin" <taltene(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I suspect that there are several types of jpeg and gifs that
> dreamweaver does not support. The question is : which types it does
> support and how can I convert my files to them?

There are a couple of types of "JPEG" and "GIF", but any modern application
worth buying can handle them all, especially a web-design application.

Use the Save As command and make sure it is actually saving a JPEG image.
Also make sure you are looking in the correct folder / directory in both the
Save As and 'choose a picture' window - go right back to the desktop / C:
drive and work down to the correct location.