From: Tony Harding on
On 05/17/10 19:06, Michael Arm wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:58:46 -0400, Tony Harding
> <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/16/10 10:05, Just me wrote:
>>> I have a Studio XPS 8100 with Windows 7 Home Premium, one hard drive
>>> and one DVD drive. The hard drive (c:) uses sata connector #1 on the
>>> motherboard. The DVD drive (f:) uses sata connector #2.
>>>
>>> I want to add a second hard drive and I want it to be drive e:.
>>>
>>> Can I just use either of the remaining sata connectors on the
>>> motherboard (#3 or #4) or should I switch the DVD drive to connector
>>> #3 and use connector #2 for the new hard drive?
>>>
>>> If I have to switch connectors for the DVD drive, will Win7 remember
>>> that it is drive e: or will I have to reassign it?
>>>
>>> Will the bios automatically pick up the new hard drive?
>>
>> Needs to be AUTO/ENABLED/ON/etc., but it should.
>>
>> You can set [almost] any drive to whatever you want, use Administrative
>> Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management (might depend on your local
>> Win 7 settings), right click on a drive and click on Change Drive Letter
>> & Paths. Win might issue a caution, but go ahead. I've done it many
>> times starting with XP. If the new HDD needs to be formatted, you have
>> an opportunity to specify a drive letter then.
>>
>> What's the deal with D:?
>>
>> PS: I said [almost] because you cannot change your boot drive this way,
>> nor can you change any drive which has a Paging File on it. Might be
>> other exceptions I'm unaware of?
>
> D: is probably his CD/DVD. My personal preference is to start at Z:
> and work backwards for things like that. He change his DVD Drive at
> the same time.

OP said his optical drive is F:\ and he wants the new HDD to be E:\, so
it makes me wonder about D:\. Being a relatively new Dell, maybe he has
a card reader which takes a drive letter? I do on my new XPS 9000 and
have it assigned to N:\ FWIW, my optical drive is always S:\ I like to
keep them away from the internal & external SATA HDDs. Network drives
start at Z:\ and work forward (although I don't have any at present).
From: Just me on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:58:46 -0400, Tony Harding
<tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>What's the deal with D:?

It occupies the second partition on the primary hard drive. :)

Thanks for your input.

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net
From: Just me on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:06:17 -0400, Michael Arm <marm(a)pobox.com>
wrote:

>D: is probably his CD/DVD. My personal preference is to start at Z:
>and work backwards for things like that. He change his DVD Drive at
>the same time.

D: is the second partition on my primary hard drive. My CD\DVD is set
to F:, although I may change that if I decide to partition the new
secondary hard drive. I start at Z: and work backwards for my external
hard drives.

From: Just me on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:03:52 -0400, Tony Harding
<tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>OP said his optical drive is F:\ and he wants the new HDD to be E:\, so
>it makes me wonder about D:\. Being a relatively new Dell, maybe he has
>a card reader which takes a drive letter? I do on my new XPS 9000 and
>have it assigned to N:\ FWIW, my optical drive is always S:\ I like to
>keep them away from the internal & external SATA HDDs. Network drives
>start at Z:\ and work forward (although I don't have any at present).

D: is assigned to the second partition on my primary hard drive. Like
you, I bumped my 4 (!) on board card readers up to the middle of the
alphabet. I start at Z: and work backwards for my external hard
drives.

Now I just have to decide if I want to split the new secondary 640GB
hard drive into smaller partitions . . .

From: Tony Harding on
On 05/18/10 16:39, Just me wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:03:52 -0400, Tony Harding
> <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> OP said his optical drive is F:\ and he wants the new HDD to be E:\, so
>> it makes me wonder about D:\. Being a relatively new Dell, maybe he has
>> a card reader which takes a drive letter? I do on my new XPS 9000 and
>> have it assigned to N:\ FWIW, my optical drive is always S:\ I like to
>> keep them away from the internal& external SATA HDDs. Network drives
>> start at Z:\ and work forward (although I don't have any at present).
>
> D: is assigned to the second partition on my primary hard drive. Like
> you, I bumped my 4 (!) on board card readers up to the middle of the
> alphabet. I start at Z: and work backwards for my external hard
> drives.
>
> Now I just have to decide if I want to split the new secondary 640GB
> hard drive into smaller partitions . . .
>
> Thanks for your input.

Anytime, dude! :)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2