From: Saga on
I need to add the time a a date, specifically, the current date.
This seemed easy enough, but I found that thi wasn't so.

As in input I get 3 or 4 digits representing the date. Valid
input string are:

"0344", "1102", "456"

The minutes are always 2 digits, but the hour can be either
1 or 2 digits.

What I did was first come up with a function to normalize
the input string which formats it hh:mm:

private function sSetTime(byval strTime as string) as integer

strTime = strTime.ToString("D4")

Return strTime.Substring(0, 2) & ":" & strTime.Substring(2, 2)

end function

Next is my date variable where I am going to keep the date
and time:

dim dteEnd as date = date.today()
dim strT as string = "345" 'For example
Now I add the time:

dteEnd = dteEnd.AddHours(
Convert.ToDouble(sSetTime(strT.Split(":".ToCharArray()).GetValue(0).ToString()))
)

And add the minutes

dteEnd = dteEnd.AddMinutes(
Convert.ToDouble(sSetTime(strT.Split(":".ToCharArray()).GetValue(1).ToString()))
)

Is there a better way to do this? <g>
Thanks, Saga

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 4/29/2010 4:44 PM, Saga wrote:
> I need to add the time a a date, specifically, the current date.
> This seemed easy enough, but I found that thi wasn't so.
>
> As in input I get 3 or 4 digits representing the date. Valid
> input string are:
>
> "0344", "1102", "456"
>
> The minutes are always 2 digits, but the hour can be either
> 1 or 2 digits.
>
> What I did was first come up with a function to normalize
> the input string which formats it hh:mm:
>
> private function sSetTime(byval strTime as string) as integer
>
> strTime = strTime.ToString("D4")
>
> Return strTime.Substring(0, 2)& ":"& strTime.Substring(2, 2)
>
> end function
>
> Next is my date variable where I am going to keep the date
> and time:
>
> dim dteEnd as date = date.today()
> dim strT as string = "345" 'For example
> Now I add the time:
>
> dteEnd = dteEnd.AddHours(
> Convert.ToDouble(sSetTime(strT.Split(":".ToCharArray()).GetValue(0).ToString()))
> )
>
> And add the minutes
>
> dteEnd = dteEnd.AddMinutes(
> Convert.ToDouble(sSetTime(strT.Split(":".ToCharArray()).GetValue(1).ToString()))
> )
>
> Is there a better way to do this?<g>
> Thanks, Saga

"Better" is always debatable... Here is an example of a different approach:

Sub Main()
Dim s() As String = {"0324", "1234", "832"}
Dim hhmm As Integer

For Each s1 As String In s
hhmm = Integer.Parse(s1)

Dim h As Integer = hhmm \ 100
Dim m As Integer = hhmm Mod 100

Dim t As DateTime = DateTime.Today
t = t.AddHours(h).AddMinutes(m)
Console.WriteLine(t)
Next

Console.ReadKey()
End Sub

--
Mike
From: Saga on
Thanks! This looks like a good approach. I can build a function
that will return the date with the time added and use that.
A question regarding your code. I noticed that you used

> hhmm = Integer.Parse(s1)

I typically use CInt(). Is there any advantage to using the
integer parse method or disadvantage to uing cint()? Thanks
Saga

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 4/29/2010 5:25 PM, Saga wrote:
> Thanks! This looks like a good approach. I can build a function
> that will return the date with the time added and use that.
> A question regarding your code. I noticed that you used
>
>> hhmm = Integer.Parse(s1)
>
> I typically use CInt(). Is there any advantage to using the
> integer parse method or disadvantage to uing cint()? Thanks
> Saga

Just a personal preference, I believe. That said, I wrote that reply
quickly, and the following way would be better:

if (Integer.TryParse(s1, hhmm)) then
' do the datetime stuff
end if

TryParse returns true if the value in the string can be parsed as an
integer. This would handle if the string "Noon" was passed in,
returning false, so that it is skipped.

--
Mike
From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-04-29, Saga <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> I need to add the time a a date, specifically, the current date.
> This seemed easy enough, but I found that thi wasn't so.
>
> As in input I get 3 or 4 digits representing the date. Valid
> input string are:
>
> "0344", "1102", "456"
>
> The minutes are always 2 digits, but the hour can be either
> 1 or 2 digits.
>
> What I did was first come up with a function to normalize
> the input string which formats it hh:mm:

If you don't use a 24 hour clock here (HHmm), then your not ever going to be
able to distinguish between am and pm with out more information :). So, here
is what I have assuming 24 hour clock...

Option Explicit On
Option Strict On

Module Module1

Sub Main()
Dim str() As String = {"1146", "0344", "442", "601", "1302", "2359"}

Dim fmt As String = "MM/dd/yyyy HHmm"
For Each t As String In str
Dim cur As String = Date.Today.ToString("MM/dd/yyyy ") & String.Format("{0,4}", t).Replace(" ", "0")
Dim d As Date
Date.TryParseExact(cur, fmt, Nothing, Globalization.DateTimeStyles.None, d)
Console.WriteLine(d)
Next
End Sub

End Module